Problem with wireless adapter with my router.

spielerman

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Here is the situation. I have a laptop that anywhere else where there is wireless it connects just fine (5 bars, and speedtest.net is fast). But when I take the same laptop home and connect to my router wirelessly it bombs on me. I connect just fine, but internet is like dial-up. Less than 1mb per second. I then turn off the internal wireless adapter and plug in a usb adapter, and 5 bars and speedtest.net is up to 49mb like I would expect!!! Blazing fast on the same laptop, just now with the USB Adapter.

Wireless Router dlink DIR-655 1.32NA, 2009/07/09 firmware

Built In Wireless Adapter in the laptop: Broadcom 43224AGN 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter

USB Wireless Adapter Zonet ZEW2546.

I just hate that the on board doesn't work at home!

Please help, updated drivers and all and no luck.

k3vin_diaz

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
hi,spielerman

probably the router is bad. if i were u, id take it to where i bought it and ask them to help u, maybe they can repair it or get u a new router. if that doesnt work, call your internet provider and tell them the situation. maybe its the internet connection. They SHOULD be able to solve ur problem.

if it were the laptop the one with the problem (the internal wireless adapter), it wouldnt connect anywhere, only with the usb drive.

spielerman

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Thank you for the response. I still think it is something else. I've got a tablet, three other laptops, any guests, a desktop, a cellphone, itouch, etc. all can connect fine to the router. Just this pesky laptop...

I could I guess cheaply keep using the usb adapter, or even open the case, and replace the wireless card in it (cheap alternative as well.) Just hoping there was another option to check compatibility.