xbox controls vs. keyboard/mouse

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Does anyone else find the Xbox controller as frustratingly innacurate as I
do? I've been an avid PC gamer for 20 years, and (as you might imagine) am
therefore a big advocate of keyboard and mouse controls in shooters. I
bought myself an Xbox a couple of months ago, and until recently I've been
playing sports games a lot, and have been having a great time -- I find the
controller much better suited for controlling baseketball, football, or golf
than I do an FPS. But I started playing Mercenaries, and have been having
an *exceedingly* difficult time moving and aiming at the same time. Makes
me feel a little slow, actually, not being able to hit a target ten feet
away.

Does anyone out there have experience on both sides of the PC/console
divide? Will movement and targeting eventually become as fluid as it is on
the PC, or do I just have to adjust?

Also, does anyone know if Microsoft (or whoever) makes a keyboard/mouse
controller for the Xbox? Just curious.

:) LB
5 answers Last reply
More about xbox controls keyboard mouse
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

    "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone else find the Xbox controller as frustratingly innacurate as I
    > do? I've been an avid PC gamer for 20 years, and (as you might imagine)
    > am
    > therefore a big advocate of keyboard and mouse controls in shooters. I
    > bought myself an Xbox a couple of months ago, and until recently I've been
    > playing sports games a lot, and have been having a great time -- I find
    > the
    > controller much better suited for controlling baseketball, football, or
    > golf
    > than I do an FPS. But I started playing Mercenaries, and have been having
    > an *exceedingly* difficult time moving and aiming at the same time. Makes
    > me feel a little slow, actually, not being able to hit a target ten feet
    > away.
    >
    > Does anyone out there have experience on both sides of the PC/console
    > divide? Will movement and targeting eventually become as fluid as it is
    > on
    > the PC, or do I just have to adjust?
    >
    > Also, does anyone know if Microsoft (or whoever) makes a keyboard/mouse
    > controller for the Xbox? Just curious.

    Yes you just have to practice more.
    No we do not make a keyboard or mouse for the Xbox and the games themselves
    do not support keyboard or mouse input a third party device may emulate the
    game controller if they wish, but do you sit at a table to play your Xbox or
    on the floor etc ? this make keyboard and mouse an pretty much non option
    for usability in those settings.
    A single common hardware platform is one of the advantages of the console
    market. Games developers do not have to make any assumptions or state any
    requirements as regards hardware or input devices, they can concentrate on
    game play.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone else find the Xbox controller as frustratingly innacurate as I
    > do? I've been an avid PC gamer for 20 years, and (as you might imagine)
    > am
    > therefore a big advocate of keyboard and mouse controls in shooters. I
    > bought myself an Xbox a couple of months ago, and until recently I've been
    > playing sports games a lot, and have been having a great time -- I find
    > the
    > controller much better suited for controlling baseketball, football, or
    > golf
    > than I do an FPS. But I started playing Mercenaries, and have been having
    > an *exceedingly* difficult time moving and aiming at the same time. Makes
    > me feel a little slow, actually, not being able to hit a target ten feet
    > away.
    >
    > Does anyone out there have experience on both sides of the PC/console
    > divide? Will movement and targeting eventually become as fluid as it is
    > on
    > the PC, or do I just have to adjust?
    >
    > Also, does anyone know if Microsoft (or whoever) makes a keyboard/mouse
    > controller for the Xbox? Just curious.
    >
    > :) LB

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

    There is an accessory on the market called a SmartJoy Frag that allows
    you to use a Keyboard/Mouse with Xbox games. It basically emulates the
    button function of the controller through the keyboard keys and
    thumbstick funtions through the mouse. It's actually pretty cool and if
    you like FPS games it's a must have.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

    That's perfect! Thanks for the tip!

    :) LB

    "ModSource" <CableBro@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > There is an accessory on the market called a SmartJoy Frag that allows
    > you to use a Keyboard/Mouse with Xbox games. It basically emulates the
    > button function of the controller through the keyboard keys and
    > thumbstick funtions through the mouse. It's actually pretty cool and if
    > you like FPS games it's a must have.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

    "ModSource" <CableBro@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > There is an accessory on the market called a SmartJoy Frag that allows
    > you to use a Keyboard/Mouse with Xbox games. It basically emulates the
    > button function of the controller through the keyboard keys and
    > thumbstick funtions through the mouse. It's actually pretty cool and if
    > you like FPS games it's a must have.

    Just remember that the mouse is essentially a giant thumbstick, so it won't
    provide the precision that a traditional mouse can.
  5. Mouse and Keyboard.

Console Gaming Controller Xbox Mice Keyboards Video Games