Sign in with
Your question

Poor Promise Sandra raid performance

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 11, 2001 12:33:23 PM

A7V133 mobo, pair of quantum ATA 66 7200 rpm hard drives. Raid 0 off onboard promise controller.(spanning) Sisoft Sandra scores a single drive around 16K and this particular configuration at 19k and a dual ATA 100 7200 rpm raid 0 at about 39k. That is a very low score for raid 0! Any thoughts on why and how to improve this? Is there a better benchmark app?
BTW the same scores were found using dual ATA 100 7200 rpm 20Gig drives about 19k....

It's like working alone
July 11, 2001 3:33:05 PM

That is pretty low.
Only thing I can suggest is putting both as master on the two different channels.

-------
If buttpluginside gets banned, I'll be so happy I'll even go buy an Intel.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 12, 2001 2:54:52 AM

Thanks for the Separate channel tip, but that has already been done. The raid is set for an a/v setup, not sure what block size that gives. It doesn't feel any faster and today I tried a pair of 20Gig 7200 rpm drives as master on separate channels and still got a low 19K or so test score under Sandra. I doubt that I am the only one, I am not happy with this score, waste of money for a second drive and raid option on a motherboard imo.

It's like working alone
Related resources
July 12, 2001 3:19:27 AM

Sandra does not do well i measuring raid arrays ( which is a software solution) Try hd tach, this will do a lot better job. but it will not wor if your array is a hacked version. if yo do not know what this means then it isn't.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 12, 2001 11:39:03 AM

Good tip thank-you, no this is not a hacked array :)  I will post the hd tach results

It's like working alone
July 12, 2001 3:49:20 PM

What's a hacked array?
July 12, 2001 4:11:31 PM

Yeah, I'm curious too. Are you referring to the Promise controller card mod?

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
July 12, 2001 8:29:06 PM

yes on the A7V with the onboard promise controller( non raid) you can reflash the bios and it becomes a raid controller. Simular to the mod with the ultra 66 but this is done only with a bios flash not a resistor.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
July 12, 2001 8:40:35 PM

Oh, ok. I didn't know about that.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
!