Poor Promise Sandra raid performance

G

A7V133 mobo, pair of quantum ATA 66 7200 rpm hard drives. Raid 0 off onboard promise controller.(spanning) Sisoft Sandra scores a single drive around 16K and this particular configuration at 19k and a dual ATA 100 7200 rpm raid 0 at about 39k. That is a very low score for raid 0! Any thoughts on why and how to improve this? Is there a better benchmark app?
BTW the same scores were found using dual ATA 100 7200 rpm 20Gig drives about 19k....

It's like working alone

FatBurger

Illustrious
That is pretty low.
Only thing I can suggest is putting both as master on the two different channels.

-------
If buttpluginside gets banned, I'll be so happy I'll even go buy an Intel.

G

Thanks for the Separate channel tip, but that has already been done. The raid is set for an a/v setup, not sure what block size that gives. It doesn't feel any faster and today I tried a pair of 20Gig 7200 rpm drives as master on separate channels and still got a low 19K or so test score under Sandra. I doubt that I am the only one, I am not happy with this score, waste of money for a second drive and raid option on a motherboard imo.

It's like working alone

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sandra does not do well i measuring raid arrays ( which is a software solution) Try hd tach, this will do a lot better job. but it will not wor if your array is a hacked version. if yo do not know what this means then it isn't.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Good tip thank-you, no this is not a hacked array :) I will post the hd tach results

It's like working alone

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes on the A7V with the onboard promise controller( non raid) you can reflash the bios and it becomes a raid controller. Simular to the mod with the ultra 66 but this is done only with a bios flash not a resistor.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!