Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply, Overheating, and Motherboard questions

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2012 12:27:12 AM

Hello I am a hardware newbie and I am looking to buy a power supply for my computer. I have heard that it is important to choose a quality power supply so I am asking for help. I already purchased a new video card (a Geforce 660ti) and it requires at least a 450 watt power supply with a minimum of 24 amps on the +12 volt rail, and two 6-pin PCI Express power connectors or four available hard disk power connectors. I would like to spend around 60 dollars or less if this is reasonable, but I am willing to go higher if necessary. Any suggestions? Also, I am worried that because I do not have any advanced cooling system in my case that my computer might overheat. Should I be worried about this, or will the fans be able to take care of it? Also I do not understand how a motherboard could limit my upgrading capability, will my motherboard cause me problems? My system specs are thus:

CPU: Intel i5 2320
Motherboard: Gateway, Model Number: IPISB-VR
Video Card (not installed yet): EVGA Geforce 660ti, Product Number: 02G-P4-3660-KR
RAM: 8Gb DDR3

Thank you,

-Geo
a b ) Power supply
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 12:55:16 AM

The newegg gods aren't posting my links correctly. Checkout the corsair builders series 500w for $49.99 after rebate.

Your system should run within specs since you're not overclocking. Noise is one of my concerns; not just temps. Normal temps for the cpu can go as high as 72C under load. Your video card will be the source of most of the noise, but that's normal. Only limitation of your oem motherboard is that it won't allow for any overclocking, but you can't do much about that since your operating system is tied to a small bios string (changing boards requires a new windows coa).
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 3:07:25 AM

Thanks for the help, I went with the XFX 550w.

-Geo
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 3:08:54 AM

no problem
m
l
!