Your question

[Homebuilt] Rate my Budget gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 12:19:51 AM

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
CPU COOLER:ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED
MOBO:ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU:GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
CASE:Logisys CS888UVBL Pre-Assembled Acrylic ATX Case
DRIVE:Samsung SH-222AB 22x DVD+/-RW SATA Desktop DVD Burner Drive
HDD:500 GB SAMSUNG SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
EXTERNAL HD:1 TB Seagate GOFLEX
POWER SUPPLY:Cooler Master 600W

my conclusion
i choose AMD coz its cheaper and i will only focus is to play all latest games in highest settings..and i know i5 is better but in gaming i think it is more on GPU so i invest more on my GPU...
i choose that MB coz i dont have planning to use a SLI or crossfire whatever multiple GPU coz i will only use 1 monitor..
:hello: 
June 21, 2012 12:27:40 AM

You should get an intel processer and go cheaper on gpu.
m
l
June 21, 2012 4:34:55 AM

For most games, you'll be good. Some MMO's are CPU intensive, but most don't take advantage of HT, and Tom's monthly CPU ratings have consistently been choosing a couple Pentiums for the $70-110 cat. because they are "a viable option" to the Phenoms for less money. Which means, if they could get Phenoms at those price points, they likely would. Bottom line, if it'll do what you want the way you want, don't worry about what we think.
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 4:42:20 AM

By the way, same MB, 2x4GB Patriot Sig series, 965BE, crusty old 8800GTS 640MB. Will HAVE to get new graphics, but flies compared to the Core2 Duo E6400 on BFG 680i SLI mobo with 2x4 DDR2. Night and day. Is it everything it could be? No. Does it run well for everything we want? Yes. So, even though it's not a muscled up Intel core chip, we're loving it.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 4:56:59 AM

Quote:
but most don't take advantage of HT,

No game does. Misread your post, sorry if you read before I edited.
---------------------------
The Phenom II will do fine, although you may consider going with an Intel 2500K. No I'm not trying to bust your balls, I gnash my teeth with people on these forums all the time who actually think an i3 is a better choice in 2012 for a better balanced system than a quad core. But the 670 has a lot of muscle, while the Phenom II wont hold it back *much*, it will to some degree.

If you decide to stick with the Phenom II, even without sli aspirations, I would still get a better quality board. Such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am not a fan of Gigabyte, many of their boards still use old Blue screen bios, and I've had one fail on me and dealt with their dismal customer support.

As far as the PSU, what model CoolerMaster? CM has decent power supplies and really crappy ones that should be avoided. I'd honestly consider a Corsair TX650

Better choice of hard drive:

m
l
June 21, 2012 5:46:50 AM

I stand corrected, nekulturny. I've put together a few rigs, but the only programming experience I've had was with Applsoft Basic, and that was a 1 semester high school class. Have recently read a series where you were discussing the low level language used by games, the trouble it is to write for each core, and the apparent incompatibility of C with virtual cores (HT). I really learn a lot when I get chance to hang out here.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 6:05:11 AM

Programming is not my strong suit believe me, you probably know more about it than I. But yes, you've got it.

The only coding I've really done is Bourne shell, really low level height of the 1970s dinosaur stuff.

As it is now, I think HyperThreading gives it something ridiculous like 1% improvement, but I doubt its from the theoretical cores chewing on the game itself, and more likely handling the background programs a little bit, but thats just purely a WAG on my part (wild ass guess)
m
l
!