New System, worked fine until I tried to restart

ih8mydroid

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I just built this system about a week ago. It was running fine up until I came home tonight and turned it on. I fired up, fans started up and then it died. A few seconds later I heard a pop like sound and a light that looked like it came from one of the fan(s) led's flashed for a split second. Now, whenever I try to turn it on, I get either nothing at all, or I get a small bit of light from one of the fan LED's for just a split second.

My Specs:

MSI Z77A-G45
i5 3570k standard clock
CM 212 Evo
NZXT hale82 750w power supply
evga gtx 670 ftw
8gb corsair vengence(2x4gb)

What I have done so far:

Removed video card - nothing
Unplugged un-needed fans - Nothing
Unplugged secondary HDD - Nothing

UPDATE:
Unplugged the 8pin cpu power cable and when I hit power, the case fans turn on for a few seconds and then power off. Also, the LED on the motherboard will turn on for a second as well.

UPDATE II:
I jumped my psu to see if it would lead me anywhere. CPU fan runs, only 1 of the 4 cpu LEDs on the mobo come on and stay on. No beeps for post from speaker.
Without jumping the psu, i achieve the same results breadboarding as I do while the mobo is in the case. Very small amount of power gets through the board to the cpu fan(spins for just a split second) and then nothing. This only happens when I do not have the 8 pin cpu power plugged in.

I am out of ideas, any help at all would be appreciated.

JohnyGt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
In my admittedly limited experience, popping has usually been associated with PSU failure. While it's highly unusual for a top line unit to go bad so soon, it's not unheard of. Often, a PSU that fried will have a smokey/burned smell.

ih8mydroid

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

There was no smoke/smell from the psu. I am going to tear into a very old PC and see if I cant test the psu unit on it.