Sign in with
Your question

Ultra PSUs Good?

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2012 2:18:22 AM

i found this brand from tiger direct and it has so many reviews can you enlighten me please?
is it reliable?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

also looking at these i've herd good things from them:

More about : ultra psus good

October 25, 2012 2:20:54 AM

the OCZ one is not bad but for the love of god don't buy the ultra psu they are just terrible i don't care if it's $1 that $1 could cause your system to blow up
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 2:23:00 AM

OCZ is a great brand on the whole, and reading the reviews of the ultra, it's also good.

However, unless I missed it, neither of those PSUs are 80+ certified - you want one that's at least bronze, as it guarantees the reliability of the PSU.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 2:26:08 AM

DarkSable said:
OCZ is a great brand on the whole, and reading the reviews of the ultra, it's also good.

However, unless I missed it, neither of those PSUs are 80+ certified - you want one that's at least bronze, as it guarantees the reliability of the PSU.

are you kidding me do you not know anything about psu's because if you did you would know that ultra is one of the worst psu brands out there
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 2:26:13 AM

the ultra x# series is usable. the ultra lsp is garbage.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:41:11 AM

i have used the haf 912 and i can tell you that the case is amazing you can fit a 200mm fan in the front and use the 120mmto put on the top so the airflow is amazing hence it being called "High Air Flow 912"

another case that i could recommend is the newly released corsair 200r it has usb 3.0 and it's under $75 if you can find it
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 2:45:57 AM

devilofdeaths said:
are you kidding me do you not know anything about psu's because if you did you would know that ultra is one of the worst psu brands out there

Do you know anything about grammar and proper punctuation? Probably not.

An Ultra X# PSU is alright to use in a system if you are on a strict budget or other more quality power supplies are not available. It'll output its rated power with no problems but efficiency will be so so. Ultra LSP units , as stated, are crap .

OCZ units are average in terms of quality and stability. Their units will deliver their rated power but don't expect too much from them if you're comparing them against higher end manufacturers/sellers like Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec, etc.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:47:19 AM

lilotimz said:

An Ultra X# PSU is alright to use in a system if you are on a strict budget or other more quality power supplies are not available. It'll output its rated power with no problems but efficiency will be so so. Ultra LSP units , as stated, are crap .

OCZ units are average in terms of quality and stability. Their units will deliver their rated power but don't expect too much from them if you're comparing them against higher end manufacturers/sellers like Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec, etc.

Is the Corsair CX 500 psu better than the OCZ one i posted
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:54:13 AM

lilotimz said:

Well in my experience i had a ultra psu and it blew up my system.Sorry if i was so hostile i just don't think that you should go off of reviews in newegg,NCIX,ect. as they can have them for 2 days and say that they had had it for months.He said that the ultra psu's are ok but the are not,they are complete rubbish.Not even compared to corsair,Antec,ect. i just don't want the OP's system to blow up like mine did.I'm only concerned for the OP's system
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:00:12 AM

Neither Ultra or OCZ are good psus. You would think that after buying PC power and cooling, that OCZ would be making good ones, but they are not. Go with Seasonic and you will be much happier.
m
l
a c 291 ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 4:02:02 AM

examplehi said:
i found this brand from tiger direct and it has so many reviews can you enlighten me please?
is it reliable?

also looking at these i've herd good things from them:

I agree with the majority on Ultra PSU's - avoid. Look at some of the review comments:
Poor soldering an sloppy build quality = trouble.

MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
X4 850 Did not achieve advertised efficiency rating. Marginal DC output quality. Poor Soldering Hard OCP
X4 1050 Did not achieve advertised efficiency rating. Poor Soldering Hard OCP
X4 1,200 Did not achieve advertised efficiency. Poor voltage regulation on the 3.3V and 5V rails. Sloppy build quality. No overtemp shutdown until almost too late. jonnyGURU, Hardware Heaven

Tom
m
l
a c 291 ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 4:17:03 AM

examplehi said:
Is the Corsair CX 500 psu better than the OCZ one i posted

Hi examplehi - I think your best approach is to determine your budget, start with the suplliers that lilotimz listed,
then look at each line on a site like newegg or ncix, you'll notice that each supplier has 3-5
levels of pricing/performance. if your budget allows don't select any from the lowest level as the
best price/performance PSU's are usually not at the lowest or the highest ends, but in between.

Thanx

Tom
m
l
!