Crossfire making swtor worse

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I have a pair of Gigabyte 6970's factory overclocked to 920mhz, I only recently got the 2nd one as I got it cheap off someone upgrading to a 7970. I updated catalyst to 12.3 i think it is now and got the latest CAP download, assigned the crossfire profile for swtor and turned off fullscreen windowed mode in swtor (crossfire don't like it). Now if you've played swtor you'd know the in game anti-aliasing doesn't work so you need to do it yourself in catalyst, when I was rocking a single 6970 I could set x16 AA in catalyst and still have avg fps of around 45, which is playable to me and made it alot smoother looking, with the twins rocking out i tried x8 AA and was getting excessive stuttering so I cut it back to x2 and then eventually off which reduced it a fair bit but still have some issues, theres a lot of times where my fps just seems to of its own accord drop and the game lags, theres also glitchs occasionally like viewing the star map on my ship flickers when zooming into a planet.

There's a few things I know I'm yet to do, such as test the new card on it's own, but my PC is big and I am lazy so I was hoping some others out there might have had similar problems can share some light how to fix this.

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I think I read that you need to set the cards to normal ..not OC and they work better ...it is somewhere in the forums I think i google it last week and someone mentioned that they undid the OC and the cards worked better ..

PrimalGecko

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Crossfire is also very prone to microstuttering (could be what you're experiencing). The problem with the map and such is due to the 1.2 patch (I get it with my single 6970 and my friend gets it too with his Nvidia). I hate to say it, but you would probably be better off not using Crossfire for SWTOR since Bioware still has a long way to go on their engine efficiency and capability.

I would also be wary of a used card being added to a system and OCing the hell out of it like you did. Who knows how beat up that card is from the previous owner?

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Crossfire is also very prone to microstuttering (could be what you're experiencing). The problem with the map and such is due to the 1.2 patch (I get it with my single 6970 and my friend gets it too with his Nvidia). I hate to say it, but you would probably be better off not using Crossfire for SWTOR since Bioware still has a long way to go on their engine efficiency and capability.

I thought it was microstuttering, but I when I read about it in that post they did here on Toms it said powerful cards like 6970's shouldn't really have a problem with it, at least that's what I thought. Good to know about the map thing, and atm I have disabled crossfire in swtor just cause the game runs better, bit of a shame but till I figure it out both cards are only going to get to stretch their legs in BF3.

I would also be wary of a used card being added to a system and OCing the hell out of it like you did. Who knows how beat up that card is from the previous owner?

It's a factory Overclock of 920Mhz so it's nothing extreme, I've clocked the single card to 965mhz for ~4 Months only took it back to factory when I crossfired.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Gigabyte z68x-ud7-b3 It's one of the boards using a NF200 chip for extra PCI-e lanes, so far hasn't failed me any step of the way, I updated bios when I started OC the CPU a few months back though theres probably newer releases since then. This actually raises a question, are there bios updates for GPU's? never thought about it till now.