Sign in with
Your question

Computer loses signal to monitor after windows login, WTF is going on!!??

Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2012 3:44:48 AM

Hello,
Hello,
So just recently, about 2 days ago, my monitor all the sudden loses signal after the windows login screen. intially i was able to run a windows startup repair and it would run a system restore and it would work, until it shutdown again. at first i thouht it may be my graphics card driver, so i ran in safe mode with networking and updated the driver, which seemed to work, for a day maybe, now i cant even get past the windows start up screen. my mouse loses power unless i click buttons (razer naga) which cause the light to blink then immediately shut off after i let the button go.
this sucks ass.
im thinking it may be a mobo failure, since i have had this shitty asrock forever. but i dont know what to do, i tried re mounting the ram and video card, but nothing seems to help

More about : computer loses signal monitor windows login wtf

October 25, 2012 3:50:31 AM

every once and a while, i get to the login screen, where after i enter my password, it starts to say welcome and starts to load and bam, reset,
now ion the more rare occasion i actually get in, 1 out of 20 resets, the bad way. and al is fine, i think.
usally after i leave for more then 5 hours, i come home and pc has lost singal, and the hellush effort to get everyhting back starts all over.
Please someone help me
m
l
October 25, 2012 5:48:50 AM

o and just to add, once i get past the login screen everything is fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2012 9:15:39 AM

Well there's a resolution change when you reach the login screen - maybe your graphics card is dying? Is it an old board?
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:20:43 PM

yes its a very old board.
the graphics card however isnt that old, although im sure by todays standards it is
its a asus gtx something, cant remember now, ill check after work ansd let you know
m
l
October 26, 2012 2:22:48 AM

motherboard is an Asrock M3A770DE
graphics card is a ASUS Geforce GTX 460 the overclocked one.
m
l
October 26, 2012 5:19:02 AM

if someone could please give me some input this is super frustarting, i need to know wether to get a new motherboard, or a new vid card.
i dont want to buy a vid card and have the mobo still be the problem or vise versa, so please help me
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2012 9:57:20 AM

vapor_13 said:
if someone could please give me some input this is super frustarting, i need to know wether to get a new motherboard, or a new vid card.
i dont want to buy a vid card and have the mobo still be the problem or vise versa, so please help me

It's a tricky thing when you don't know the cause - best thing is if you have spare components to swap in so you can isolate the problem, like an old GTX250 or something. If you can't though, you're best off trying software-based solutions before returning anything. Have you tried re-installing Windows?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2012 10:00:22 AM

With your mouse playing up too, mobo is certainly a possibility though... or even monitor - presumably you've tried turning it off and back on when it loses signal? My monitor also sometimes loses signal on resolution changes during boot, but the final resolution switch at the login screen tends to wake it up (or failing that, off and on again).
m
l
October 26, 2012 4:38:14 PM

i cant see it being the monitor, as it doesnt happen everytime, and my monitor is only about a year old.
and up until recently i have have zero problems, no i could be wrong, ill try a different monitor though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2012 6:38:57 PM

vapor_13 said:
i cant see it being the monitor, as it doesnt happen everytime, and my monitor is only about a year old.
and up until recently i have have zero problems, no i could be wrong, ill try a different monitor though.

If you have a spare, it certainly couldn't hurt. Mine is also not that old (less than 3 years) and just thought maybe it was a similar thing. If it is, off and on again fixes it. Mine is a Samsung F2380 by the way, what are you using? People warned me Samsung monitors are good to begin with and then get worse, but PVA/IPS displays were expensive at the time so only reasonably-priced option.
m
l
October 27, 2012 12:03:02 AM

i have a viewsonic LED 1080 p full HD monitor VX2250
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
October 27, 2012 8:40:24 AM

Did you try another monitor? Or just off/on this one? It's worth eliminating it as a possibility before moving onto mobo/graphics card. Do you also have a spare PCI-E graphics card?
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:55:16 AM

I don't have an extra graphics card. I idi try on off intially and I tried a different monitor with no luck
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 9:53:07 AM

vapor_13 said:
I don't have an extra graphics card. I idi try on off intially and I tried a different monitor with no luck

In that case, software, graphics or motherboard are the prime candidates... try re-installing Windows, your hardware might be fine.
m
l
November 1, 2012 3:23:39 AM

if i use windows backup and killdisk my harddrive, reinstall windows and run a restore will everythign be that same as it was?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
November 1, 2012 8:12:14 AM

vapor_13 said:
if i use windows backup and killdisk my harddrive, reinstall windows and run a restore will everythign be that same as it was?

Sorry - I haven't got a clue what killdisk is! I don't think there's any need to wipe or format the drive though, simply boot the Windows DVD and choose options that don't involve formatting (I'd be more specific but I've never had to reinstall Windows 7 in almost 3 years of running it!). There's probably even a 'repair' option that could be worth trying first.
m
l
!