Sign in with
Your question

New PC Build -- Need opinions about chosen parts!!

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 1:52:51 AM

I'm currently planning on building a new computer and I've chosen a few parts based off of reviews and experiences from other people online. I just want to know if the parts I chose are all compatible with each other and if they are good products.

My main uses for this computer will probably be for gaming, especially BF3. I want to be able to run bf3 on high/ultra at pretty high fps on high and decent fps on ultra. I'm most likely going to be running the game on high though.

Also if you guys could recommend any parts that provide the same performance but run a bit cheaper, that would be great too. I also need to choose a 1080p monitor and a mouse. Recommendations appreciated!

Thanks

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aq0P
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aq0P/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aq0P/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($112.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($60.96 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000BR Wired Slim Keyboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
Total: $1280.72
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 2:16:35 AM

Memory needs to be 1.5 volt or less or your processor warranty is voided

No need for water cooling for an IB processor . They are rated at 77 watts . Get a CM hyper 212 or Xigmatek gaia cooler for $30 and you are more than covered

The GTX 570 is an older generation card. Use the money you dont spend on the cpu cooler to upgrade this to a 7XXX radeon

Or buy a 40 -64 gig SSD to use as a cache drive . That will speed boot and loading times and make your pc feel much faster
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 2:36:50 AM

I agree with everything Outlander said.

What budget to you have for this build? What is the maximum amount you are willing to spend?

BF3 is a very demanding game. It takes a lot to run it on high or ultra. I think a GTX 670 is going to be what you need.

If that puts you over your budget then you probably want to go for a HD 7870 GHz edition card from AMD.
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 3:15:52 AM

I'll look into what you said Outlander. This is the first time I've chosen parts so I gave it a shot from information I found out and about. I definitely won't be able to afford a 670. Seems a bit too out of budget due to the fact that I also need to add in a monitor and mouse in that budget.

I've looked at a lot of benchmarks for bf3 on high and I found that the 570 was able to run the game at around 40-50 fps? So I figured that it wouldn't be that bad.

I actually did look into the HD 7XXX's but I also read that these gpu's might have trouble running different games due to some sort of a driver problem? I also heard it was fixed but my knowledge on this subject is quite limited. This is the reason why I decided to go with the 570 but if you guys suggest otherwise, I'm all ears.

Also I was wondering if my PSU was appropriate for such a rig listed.

My budget for this is probably $1400 max with everything including monitor and mouse

Thanks
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:58:48 PM

Bump
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2012 12:46:29 AM

keembo said:
I'll look into what you said Outlander. This is the first time I've chosen parts so I gave it a shot from information I found out and about. I definitely won't be able to afford a 670. Seems a bit too out of budget due to the fact that I also need to add in a monitor and mouse in that budget.

I've looked at a lot of benchmarks for bf3 on high and I found that the 570 was able to run the game at around 40-50 fps? So I figured that it wouldn't be that bad.

I actually did look into the HD 7XXX's but I also read that these gpu's might have trouble running different games due to some sort of a driver problem? I also heard it was fixed but my knowledge on this subject is quite limited. This is the reason why I decided to go with the 570 but if you guys suggest otherwise, I'm all ears.

Also I was wondering if my PSU was appropriate for such a rig listed.

My budget for this is probably $1400 max with everything including monitor and mouse

Thanks

I think you did really well for parts selection . But you probably went too far in some directions . Apart from the RAM it is all compatible , and even the RAM would work at a pinch .
Having said that most people want the best value for the money they spend , and the maximum performance for that money . To me that means avoiding expensive cpu coolers and spending on a graphics card to raise performance .

There will be no driver problems using a Radeon rather than an nVidia card . Sometimes games are more optimized for one or the other but that is increasingly rare
m
l
June 22, 2012 9:33:10 AM

Thanks for all the help Outlander. I've looked into what you suggested and I made some changes. I was able to upgrade the gpu after switching out the cpu cooler. I also switched out the ram to a low profile corsair vengeance with 1.5v instead of 1.65v as you stated before. I may have overstretched the budget a tad bit but the prices ended up somewhat similar.

The only thing I'm not 100% certain about on that list is the case I chose. I just chose it from a recommended list online.

I was also thinking about a Mionix Naos 5000 mouse. Any opinions?

Here's the new list if you don't mind taking a look again.

Thanks

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aBSG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aBSG/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aBSG/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.15 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($437.86 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($60.96 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000BR Wired Slim Keyboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
Total: $1312.26
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2012 2:31:35 PM

FYI - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM went on sale this morning on Newegg. $79.99 with promocode. Free shipping too.

Also the Antec 300 is on sale for $49 with free shipping plus it has a $10 rebate bringing the cost down to $39. It is a decent case. I have done a build in one before.
m
l
!