opening files with...

February 14, 2005 3:04:21 PM

I want to open all my media files with a particular program (Windows Media
Player).

How do I make this the default program.

Currently, it identifies all my .avi files as WINAMP files. But WINAMP
doesn't always open them.

Right now, I just right click and choose Open With and then specify Windows
Media Player. But how do I make it permanent?

MB

More about : opening files

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:04:22 PM

I dont know if there is an easier way, but if you go into file explorer and
click Tools, Folder Options, File Types, there is a listing of files types,
goto .avi and you can change the default program to open with. Change all
the extensions that you want, apply and you should be good to go.

"MB_" wrote:

> I want to open all my media files with a particular program (Windows Media
> Player).
>
> How do I make this the default program.
>
> Currently, it identifies all my .avi files as WINAMP files. But WINAMP
> doesn't always open them.
>
> Right now, I just right click and choose Open With and then specify Windows
> Media Player. But how do I make it permanent?
>
> MB

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 4:47:19 PM

Another way, that I find easier, is to right-click on one of your music
files, scroll down and click on "Choose Program". In next window,
choose "Windows Media Player" and then *Tick-Off* at bottom
"Always Use The Selected Program To Open This Kind Of File"
All such music files will then always auto play in WinMedia Player.

I prefer other program & used above method to always use Winamp.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I want to open all my media files with a particular program (Windows Media
>Player).
>
> How do I make this the default program.
>
> Currently, it identifies all my .avi files as WINAMP files. But WINAMP
> doesn't always open them.
>
> Right now, I just right click and choose Open With and then specify
> Windows Media Player. But how do I make it permanent?
>
> MB

February 14, 2005 10:24:11 PM

Hi MB,

How to change file associations in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307859

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

MB_ wrote:
> I want to open all my media files with a particular
> program (Windows Media Player).
>
> How do I make this the default program.
>
> Currently, it identifies all my .avi files as WINAMP
> files. But WINAMP doesn't always open them.
>
> Right now, I just right click and choose Open With and
> then specify Windows Media Player. But how do I make it
> permanent?
> MB
February 14, 2005 10:58:55 PM

Select one such file and choose Open With... (hold down left-shift if Open
With not already there) from the contect menu.
then select Choose Program...
Select or browse for your favorite program and don't forget to check the
"Always use the selected program to open open this kind of file"-check box
at the bottom of the list.
You'll have to do this for every filetype you want opened that way.

hth
george

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I want to open all my media files with a particular program (Windows Media
>Player).
>
> How do I make this the default program.
>
> Currently, it identifies all my .avi files as WINAMP files. But WINAMP
> doesn't always open them.
>
> Right now, I just right click and choose Open With and then specify
> Windows Media Player. But how do I make it permanent?
>
> MB

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:31:52 PM

Check here:
Open WMP, Tools, Options, File Types

Also, uncheck the option "Register types on Winamp start" in Winamp
preferences.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I want to open all my media files with a particular program (Windows Media
>Player).
>
> How do I make this the default program.
>
> Currently, it identifies all my .avi files as WINAMP files. But WINAMP
> doesn't always open them.
>
> Right now, I just right click and choose Open With and then specify
> Windows Media Player. But how do I make it permanent?
>
> MB

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:47:37 PM

The correct way for Windows Media Player (and most other media players) is to go Tools - Options - File Types and tick the files you want it to open. This generates undo information so by unticking you restore the previous program.

http://www.uscricket.com

!