Sign in with
Your question

Bad time to buy s27a950d?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2012 12:27:17 PM

Hello,
Hi,

I've been reading your review of this screen, and i must say that i am very tempted by it. The finish, the glossy screen (which i unlike most others actually prefer) and the 120 hz goes for an instant grab.

But i was wondering - is it a bad time to buy it? The screen is not that fresh anymore, and there we're a host of new 27'' screens at CES boasting new and improved picture-quality.

The price-tag is still a bit steep on this one (in my country around 700USD).

So is it a bad time to make such an investment, or should i just buy the screen? Whats your thought on this? :) 

(PS. I'm a gamer, and thats the main-goal of buying the screen. Of course i will also do work, watch movies etc. but gaming is the priority).

More about : bad time buy s27a950d

April 26, 2012 12:32:17 PM

Furthermore: I am primarily going to be using 2D at 120hz via Dual-Dvi, the 3D-function is not very important to me.
April 26, 2012 2:12:46 PM

The monitor really looks cool. But with 700USD you can buy 3 x 60Hz 1920x1080 monitors for triple monitor gaming. It is totally different experience...
Related resources
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 26, 2012 2:32:33 PM

What video card brand do you use? I ask you this because even though you aren't very interested in 3D now, there is a very high chance that you will change your mind once you try it. This monitor is designed with 3D on AMD systems, but not Nvidia.
April 26, 2012 2:55:48 PM

@Randomkid: I unfortunately have conquered a madame who is concerned about the aesthetics, and Eyefinity isn't really an option we can agree on :) 

@bystander: I have an Nvidia 560Gtx, so thats just fine and dandy (T_T). But i have read on some forums around, that i can, if that is the choice i end up on, do some hacks or something to make the screen be recognized as a different model with 3D-Vision support.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 26, 2012 3:01:22 PM

You'd probably have a better experience if you purchased a 3D Vision (2) monitor for 120hz. If it were me, I'd go to Nvidia's site and check out their 3D monitor list and pick one that will do 120hz at 1080p.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 26, 2012 3:04:20 PM

One more thing. A single 560 is not going to give great performance at 1080p. It'll be adequate for gaming, but you won't likely be able to see the advantages of 120hz or 3D without lowering settings a lot.
April 26, 2012 6:03:15 PM

@bystander: The problem is, most other 27'' screens haven't got the glossy appearance which i think gives the colors much more "life" - or as far as i've been able to find them have had split reviews. It's not optimal, but seemed like the best solution.

My power is only 650W so to go SLI, i would have to upgrade both that and buy another card - which is at the moment a bit out of the question, considered the money i have to invest on the monitor already :) 

Thanks for the nice advice though! (y)
April 26, 2012 6:12:05 PM

If you don't need it, wait.
!