Sign in with
Your question

$1000 (ish) creative suite, video editing, and music production build

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 2:46:09 AM

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for all your advice, there is no way I could do this on my own. This is my 4th build and I can follow a recipe, but when it gets to how or why something works, I am out of my depth. It is because of all the experts out there volunteering their time and brains, that people like me can have a quality computer at home, so thanks.

Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner the better, this week if possible.

Budget Range: ($1000-1300)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Must be able to handle some serious work in After Effects. Also, I will use most programs in CS6 from illustrator to photoshop to indesign to dreamweaver. I will also be doing music production in Ableton Live as well as some light modeling in Cinema 4D and Poser.

Parts Not Required: I have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, corsair h70 heatsink, and hard drives

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Nothing major here. I would like a decent size case, I struggle with making things look pretty and fitting well inside the case. Modular power supply is a must for me.

Overclocking: Maybe not a must have feature

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. Most likely not.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 dual monitors

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU:XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

POWER:CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

OPTICAL: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
June 21, 2012 7:26:07 AM

GPU: Go for a GTX 670 for hardware assisted MPE and ray tracing.

PSU: Go for the Gold label AX.

SSD: Go for the Corsair Performance Pro.

HDD: Get at least 2 x 7200 SATA disks.

m
l
June 21, 2012 1:02:10 PM

Case is good.

Motherboard is a bit overkill, the Extreme4 will be fine.

Graphics card card isn't essential in this build so this mid range card isn't an issue. Could even afford to go down here.

PSU is fine, but its only semi-modular and Corsair I find have the annoying policy of having their modular PSU's very expensive. Here is a great power supply with gold efficiency and fully modular system and only $10 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU is under-powered for an editing rig, you will want the i7-3770k.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD is decent but not great, I would look toward the Crucial M4 or OCZ Vertex 4.

RAM is all good.

Who cares about the optical, its fine.

HDD: You said you have multiple at the top, make sure there 7200RPM and you have it set so that one holds the raw data/footage and the other gets rendered too, with the SSD to hold the OS and programs. This is so that data isn't being read from and written to the same Hard Drive, which will slow the process down.
m
l
June 22, 2012 4:46:32 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions, I take them to heart.

I do like that the extreme6 has firewire, as I still have devices that use it. That said, I could just get a card for $20 or so.

Great advice on the hard drives. I do have 5 7200 1TB drives and am planing to use the ssd for just programs and boot. I did not know to put raw files on one and render to another, so thanks for the tip.

I could go down to the 560ti graphics card, but the boost might be nice if I decide to play games a little.

Thanks again!
m
l
!