mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hey Guys,

Currently my main monitor is a 42" LCD moniter for my gaming computer. I don't want to use it as my main monitor as the screen get's warm and I'm going to go blind by summers end at this point. I'd like to get dual 23" moniters to replace and mount the TV back on my wall with a swivel so if I want to use it for my computer I have the option.

anyway, will my Sapphire 6870 support 2 23" moniters (each running off it's own DVI port) and an 42" moniter (running off a HDMI cable). I'd also like to be sure that when the 42" TV goes off, or switches displays (to xbox or tv) that the computer won't freak out.

if it's not going to work let me know what I need to do to make it work (I.E. Sapphire Flex 6870?)

also I may hook up a TV tuner to my computer, if that matters.

thanks all!
Mike

Solution

Yes, unless you invest in an active display port to DVI adapter. In which case, you can enjoy the 3 displays in your current 6870. If you do, be mindful of what display port your current 6870 have i.e. mini or normal size.

randomkid

Distinguished
If you have the Sapphire Flex 6870, then it will work. The two new monitor should have DVI ports & connected to the two DVI ports of the Flex. The HDMI from the TV connect to the HDMI port of the Flex. The new catalyst intelligently saves the configuration & will not freak out if you turn off the TV specially if you are on the desktop extend mode.

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
okay, so I don't have a sapphire Flex, I just have the base 6870. I mentioned the Flex because I would like to crossfire one day and wouldn't mind setting up the flex as my new primary and my base as the secondary card.

so with the base 6870 am I a little more limited to a dual moniter set up and tweaking with settings everytime I want to get something on my 42?

randomkid

Distinguished

Yes, unless you invest in an active display port to DVI adapter. In which case, you can enjoy the 3 displays in your current 6870. If you do, be mindful of what display port your current 6870 have i.e. mini or normal size.

Solution

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
alright, I understand now - I did some research into that flex card and it just has that stuff built in. thought it was a little more complex then that. I can buy a few adapters to make it work. thanks for the input! much apperciated!

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
One Active Display Port, One HDMI, 2 HDMI (one single display and one dual display)

after researching a little more I think I've figured it out...

Active display port to DVI to monitor #1
DVI to monitor #2
HDMI to monitor #3 (42" television)

Then configure so 1+2=main display and 3 as an extended desktop... right?

TRENDING THREADS