Sign in with
Your question

Helping a friend with his Computer

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 4:00:16 AM

OK, so a friend of mine wanted me to take a look at his custom built computer that another person built for him a while back. He is having some issues with the performance so I am trying to help.

He has a
Q6600 2.4ghz - Stock Cooling - Nothing is OC'd
NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI mobo
2x2gb (4gb) Corsair xms ddr2 800mhz 1.80v ver3.1, 5-5-5-18
Geforce Evga GTX 560 ti
Windows 7 64bit

First issue is with both coretemp and realtemp his temps were saying 50c Idle and 70c after a few mins of high load. That seems horrible to me. Could the stock cooler be set wrong?

I also really don’t know where a system like his SHOULD be performance wise. But, his FPS always seemed to be about 20%-30% lower than mine. I didn’t run things too long as his temps were high but a few minutes of 3dmark 06 with the same default settings I would notice where mine would sit at 100fps his was only hitting 70ish.

My system is:
-Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge Quad Core OCd to 4.2ghz
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL not OCd
-ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Saphire Radeon HD 5770 1gb not OC'd

Is the combo of my CPU/MOBO/RAM make up for his better Graphics card?

Does his performance compared to mine seem about where it should be for his hardware?

What would be the first thing to upgrade to see a performance boost?

a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 3:56:14 PM

You may have absolutely nothing wrong with your friend's performance. The newer video cards give off alot of heat. I once had coretemp report 90c on my 750 cpu when testing without any thermal paste; the system still ran for a few seconds. And the 2500K could easily account for the different frame rates. The comparison may prove useful in deciding how much your friend wants to spend to get the same performance as your system. I suggest you set a firm budget and try selling your friend's cpu/board/ram as a combo deal on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. No need to break it down until you receive payment, as you may not get any good offers. I saw a deal recently on craigslist for the q6600, p35 board, and 8 gb of ddr2 for only $75, but I was too slow to pull the trigger. What offers you get may depend on timing and your own patience, but if you continue to use it, there's no need to rush. Just sit back and see what offers you get for awhile.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 4:15:50 PM

if 50c is the cpu temp and he using the stock intel cpu cooler...it may be that the legs are not all the way down or the thermal paste was not used or some cheap stuff was used and it dried out. if he going to keep the pc i would by a cheap aftermarket ball berring fan and thermal paste and redo it. the mb he has is a third party chipset...the chipset may be bottlenecking the card...the cpu itself will...i would make sure that his mb bios and the mb chipset drivers are up todate,
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 8:28:36 PM

I have my old ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro sitting in the closet. That should fit his setup (right?) and should do something to those temps. He does want to keep the system as is for now.

I imagine if i can get the temps down (way way down) I have a chance to OC his cpu a bit. even just to 3ghz would be fine. That should give him a nice boost right?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 8:33:29 PM

should help him if you can get it stable with an over clock..the older cpu were harder to overclock...ran hotter. just be care full not to over voltage the cpu. it kill the cpu real quick. just wipe the old thermal paste off and put on some new stuff. just make sure your cooler has the right cpu bracket for his cpu and mb. some heat sinks have the older 775 bracket and some dont.
m
l
June 22, 2012 11:16:45 PM

installed the arctic cooling freezer pro and idle temps are down from 50c to 30c. I noticed the stock cooler had very little thermal paste left on it.

With that temp (was about 45c full load running prime for an hour) i would like to OC it a bit for him. Doesn't need to be insane. I think 3-3.2 ghz would be fine. There seems to be many guides on OC'ing the q6600 with a 780i out there. Anyone suggest something with basic settings to get it to at least 3ghz without much trouble?

m
l
!