Sign in with
Your question

I7 3770k or i5 3570k for my situation

Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2012 8:21:09 AM

Hey, I am in the middle of building a computer mainly for gaming as well as school work and some novice game design. My brother has recently turned me onto using the Unreal Engine and a few others. Very addicting and fun I might add. I might be doing some ocassional photoshop, but that will not be more than once or twice a week most likely.

I know that the i7 will not have any substantial improvement over a i5 in gaming, and I know that it will help some with photoshop and other programs like that. However, Im wondering if the i7 will have any substantial improvement rendering games and working on map design, etc. Just trying to see if it is worth justifying the $100 price increase. Also, this is my first major build so I was looking at the k series for the overclocking, but I really dont know how much id be doing. Mainly because im a little scared of messing things up. haha If their is a better options for a CPU that is comparable in speed im all ears as well.

My build is going to consist of:

Motherboard: P8Z77 Lk
Ram: 8gb of Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: Corsair enthusiast 650w
GPU: Galaxy GTX 660ti 2gb (may do sli in the future)

More about : 3770k 3570k situation

a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 9:09:26 AM

No reason to go beyond even an i5-3450 where gaming is concerned. I would lean towards the 3570, since the 3770 doesn't justify the extra cash in real-world performance. This gives you a bit more money to invest elsewhere.

If you are unsure about overclocking and do not plan to do it, you can save more by going for the non-K model, but this is entirely up to you.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 9:09:49 AM

kylemm said:
Hey, I am in the middle of building a computer mainly for gaming as well as school work and some novice game design. My brother has recently turned me onto using the Unreal Engine and a few others. Very addicting and fun I might add. I might be doing some ocassional photoshop, but that will not be more than once or twice a week most likely.

I know that the i7 will not have any substantial improvement over a i5 in gaming, and I know that it will help some with photoshop and other programs like that. However, Im wondering if the i7 will have any substantial improvement rendering games and working on map design, etc. Just trying to see if it is worth justifying the $100 price increase. Also, this is my first major build so I was looking at the k series for the overclocking, but I really dont know how much id be doing. Mainly because im a little scared of messing things up. haha If their is a better options for a CPU that is comparable in speed im all ears as well.

My build is going to consist of:

Motherboard: P8Z77 Lk
Ram: 8gb of Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: Corsair enthusiast 650w
GPU: Galaxy GTX 660ti 2gb (may do sli in the future)

Well like you say, the i7 will offer very little benefit for gaming, but is faster in other applications, especially highly-threaded ones. To be honest, if gaming is your main use of the system, I'd say the price difference probably isn't justified. i5 is still an extremely capable processor in non-gaming applications anyway - you're not going to be waiting around too long :-)
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 9:11:07 AM

Herr_Koos said:
No reason to go beyond even an i5-3450 where gaming is concerned. I would lean towards the 3570, since the 3770 doesn't justify the extra cash in real-world performance. This gives you a bit more money to invest elsewhere.

If you are unsure about overclocking and do not plan to do it, you can save more by going for the non-K model, but this is entirely up to you.

And this is good advice. I'd pick up a 3450 myself if I was assembling a system now.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 9:25:24 AM

I think the idea of having a CPU capable of overclocking is good as future proof basicly.
In general, i belive it is better you get the i5, yet the K version.

If at some point you need more juice, you can investigate the option of overclocking (i use that for my old Q6600 and it is still keeping its head up high :D ).

October 25, 2012 12:38:27 PM

I know ur feeling dude, u already know i5 is the best for ur situation right now but still thinking about the i7 3770k,

for example i3, 2core 4 thread, performed almost and just little less than true quadcore,
With 8 thread is almost like 8 core but only some application tat able to utilise all that

We have seen amd piledriver, 4core 4 modules cores, kinda like 8 core prcessor,

But intel only produce a 6core so far,

IN MY OPiNION, only after ivy brigde e is out, the we can see some 8 core but i belive gaming will not use 8 core in the near future, just my opinion, fanboy dont get mad!
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 12:50:50 PM

Ceee9 said:

But intel only produce a 6core so far,

*Off topic*

Bulldozer FX6000 series? Phenom II X6?
October 25, 2012 1:07:56 PM

IntelEnthusiast said in these forums:

"In the end there is very little value for hyper-threading in most games. I would build my system on the Intel Core i5-3570K and 8GB of RAM as you really won't use more than that unless you start to do some video editing." [Christian Wood, Intel Enthusiast Team, IntelEnthusiast on these forums]
a c 86 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 1:14:20 PM

Herr_Koos said:
*Off topic*

Bulldozer FX6000 series? Phenom II X6?

I think he means that Intel offers 6-cores but not 8-cores. AMD obviously have both.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 1:14:31 PM

^Well there you have it straight from the horse's mouth. :-)
October 25, 2012 1:29:42 PM

Thanks for all the quick reply's guys. That's kind of the way I am leaning towards as well. It seems like the 3570k is a great bang for the buck CPU. So, hyperthreading will not have any effect on game rendering and light rendering when using the Unreal Engine as a example? I can't seem to find any benchmarks on and game creation engines.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 1:35:01 PM

From memory, hyperthreading has some benefit in server applications but not much in the way of desktop computing. The high-end i7's never get picked in the "best CPU for your money" reviews for precisely this reason. The price tag is outrageous, the performance benefit, not so much.
October 25, 2012 1:49:49 PM

Okay, thank you. Looks like im going with the the 3570k then. Your right about the high price tag. Hard to take $320 for a CPU when the i5 is $100 less

Thanks for the help!
a c 86 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 3:39:36 PM

Herr_Koos said:
From memory, hyperthreading has some benefit in server applications but not much in the way of desktop computing. The high-end i7's never get picked in the "best CPU for your money" reviews for precisely this reason. The price tag is outrageous, the performance benefit, not so much.

Hyperthreading does help in some desktop applications; the "best CPU for your money" ignores that because it's focused on gaming performance (where hyperthreading does pretty much nothing). But even when hyperthreading applies, it's only a moderate boost. It's very hard to justify the price difference.
October 25, 2012 3:50:48 PM

Get the i5 3570k and OC it to 4.4 when u plan to do some rendering and/or SLI. For current games and rest of use stock speeds of it is sufficient.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 4:00:24 PM

I think there is some confusion here. First of all Intel does make 8 core cpus, they are Sandy Bridge E Xeons. Much more software takes advantage of the extra threads than you may think. Sure the 3570k is great for gaming, but for Photoshop, the extra threads will come in handy. As for game designing, the more threads the better. I recommend a 3770K if you plan to overclock or plan to overclock in the future. If not, you may even want to look at some 1155 socket Xeons.
a c 86 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 4:19:25 PM

maestro0428 said:
I think there is some confusion here. First of all Intel does make 8 core cpus, they are Sandy Bridge E Xeons. Much more software takes advantage of the extra threads than you may think. Sure the 3570k is great for gaming, but for Photoshop, the extra threads will come in handy. As for game designing, the more threads the better. I recommend a 3770K if you plan to overclock or plan to overclock in the future. If not, you may even want to look at some 1155 socket Xeons.

Xeons aren't intended for consumer PCs though.

I don't see what overclocking has to do with the choice between a Core i7-3770k and a Core i5-3570k since they overclock equally well.
October 25, 2012 9:00:02 PM

okay, maybe the i7 is worth it then if im going to do quite a bit of game design. Im not against saving up a little more if i am going to see a improvement. If i do overclock, is their a easy guide to follow to make sure im doing it correctly. I believe the motherboard I have has a good setup for overclocking as well.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 9:08:05 PM

IVY?? No grab a cheaper i7 2700k and overclock the crap out of it!
October 26, 2012 6:51:53 AM

If I was going to overclock the 3570k to say 4.2 ghz for example. Would I be able to reach the performance of the 3770k? Even in game rendering?
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2012 7:10:26 AM

kylemm said:
If I was going to overclock the 3570k to say 4.2 ghz for example. Would I be able to reach the performance of the 3770k? Even in game rendering?

Can't say for sure without knowing how your rendering software will react to HT + the additional cache memory of the i7.

Here's the best I could do:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=701
October 26, 2012 7:30:19 AM

Okay thank you very much for the help. Im thinking the 3570k overclocked will be close enough. I don't think I can justify the 100 price increase. Seems like the 3570k is a great bang for the buck.
October 26, 2012 8:12:42 AM

Yes intel does make xeon that even have 10 core in it, but not a mainstream for users,

U are right just grab the i5-3570k, if i right the different between that n i7-3770k is how much time consume to render or etc something,

Someone might can correct me here, its about the time, still not justifies the extra $100,

!