Tempestas

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I wanted to know how exactly I should go about setting up Eyefinity on my computer. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

I'll be getting two more Samsung 23.6" Syncmaster LCD Monitors to go with the one I already have, as well as another 6870 that I'll picking up to crossfire with my current 6870. I'd like to know which cords I'm going to need to buy in order to make this setup work. I am currently running the one monitor I currently own off a DVI cable connected to the 6870. The cables connecting the future two monitors that I will be buying need to be about 5' long due to the fact that the back of my computer faces the corner of my room and the front of it faces my monitors. (My computer sits on an L shaped desk which goes backward to the corner of my room. See image below to understand what I mean.)

roomlayoutq.png

Thanks for all the help!

Solution
I'll jump in with my experience, as I'm currently doing something exactly as you are planning. I run two ASUS 6870 DirectCU-II cards, which have a different output layout than the reference (2 DVI and 2 Display Port). After purchasing my 3rd monitor, I had to buy an active adapter -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZX0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
is what i got, which I can verify works perfectly after using it for 6 months or so. To run CFX and Eyefinity, you have to run all the monitors off of one of the cards, as stated above.
I did look into display port capable monitors when buying my 3rd monitor, only to realize they are still pretty expensive for the most part... and a working 'active' adapter is only $30.
After that, the...

Tempestas

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
What I am asking is: What kinds of cords am I going to need to use to efficiently and effectively setup the monitors and whether to plug them into one or both video cards.

xllsargellx

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I believe those cards have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 2 Mini Display Ports. So really one card could run the 3 monitors. I am not 100% sure about plugging them into one card or both cards as I am still only using one 7950 to run my 4 monitors. I would Say use the 2 DVI ports and one mini display (MD) port but unless your monitors have native MD support then you will need to get an ACTIVE mini display port to DVI adapter. They are on Amazon.com for like $30. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZXA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Sorry I cannot help with information about using the ports on one card or splitting them up but as I said I am only using one card at the moment (until I get my second 7950).

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
You'll only be connecting the monitors to one card. The connectiosn will depend on your monitors. If the monitors have display ports all you'll need is a display port cable (probably mini on one end). If the monitors do not you'll then connect one thru DVI, one thru HDMI, and need an active display port adapter for the 3rd monitor.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

For those monitors you will need 3 DVI cables and 1 displayport/DVI ACTIVE adapter. For eyefinity to work, you MUST use an active and not passive adapter. See link for approved dongles.
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

hugostiglitz has put together a nice little setup guide for eyefinity.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/344343-33-eyefinity-setup-guide

@foscooter. Displayport was introduced several years ago, and monitor manufacturers all said they would support this new tech. Now, several years later, there are still very few monitors that are display port capable. At time of writting I know of only 2, 1 from HP (see inzones link above) and the dell 27" ultrasharp. Samsung say they have one, but it's not available outside of asia atm.

sk1939

Distinguished

NEC's often have Displayport as well.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Cheers. Good to know there are more out there. Considering how long displayport cards have been available and how many monitor manufacturers jumped on the band wagon saying they'll support displayport it's surprising how few models of the so many monitors to choose from actually have a displayport input.

sk1939

Distinguished

I find it's mostly IPS or business oriented monitors, most consumer displays feature HDMI instead. The reason graphics card manufactures love them is because they don't have to pay the HDMI consortium licensing fee's when they use Display Port.

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I'll jump in with my experience, as I'm currently doing something exactly as you are planning. I run two ASUS 6870 DirectCU-II cards, which have a different output layout than the reference (2 DVI and 2 Display Port). After purchasing my 3rd monitor, I had to buy an active adapter -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZX0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
is what i got, which I can verify works perfectly after using it for 6 months or so. To run CFX and Eyefinity, you have to run all the monitors off of one of the cards, as stated above.
I did look into display port capable monitors when buying my 3rd monitor, only to realize they are still pretty expensive for the most part... and a working 'active' adapter is only $30.
After that, the setup in CCC is pretty simple. I suggest setting up 'presets' to switch between eyefinity and a normal 3 individual monitor setup, as a lot of games wont work with eyefinity, and standard use of the desktop in eyefinity can be a pain at times (6 foot wide windows are hard to look at).

Solution

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

I got 3 ASUS Monitors with DP in February (Model VE248Q). Great monitors for a good price. Check them out on the egg.

hugostiglitz has put together a nice little setup guide for eyefinity.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] etup-guide

Thanks, that cleared up alot o' questions. If I get another monitor, I'll just use the 2nd DVI output on my 6850 card.

And I now know the difference between Eyefinity and Extended Desktop.

But I digrees, this isn't my thread.