Is i7 880 for video editing

Solution

Yes, you should be fine with that.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

There are faster high-end CPU's out now, but that CPU is a bit of a beast, probably going to be fast enough for a couple of years still to run most high-end apps.

People were video editing for years before the i7 series CPUs even came out :)

Using the CPU for gaming wont degrade the CPU as such. I mean you can check your running temps with coretemp or something, but if the computer is still running nicely, then it doesn't really matter what apps you fire at it :) As long as the temps are less than 70 odd degrees C then you don't really have to worry too much :)

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
If you want to increase the speed of your computers general applications and operating system, then get an SSD, and install Windows onto it. You can pick up a 512GB SSD for an almost affordable amount of money these days (I saw one for £290 on Amazon (of all places), and I've seen some slightly older 256GB SSDs for £100.)
If you manage the space well you can get a lot of performance on the drives for editing and such like. For example, if you are using Steam, then try to keep the amount of installed games to a minimum, but install your Steam to the C drive. You can fill the drive quickly with games though. Same for video editing, you can store the items you are working on (depending on how big the source files are) on the SSD, but when you are not working on them (like project finshed or shelved) then copy it to another old-school HDD.
Most importantly you can install your operating system and programs (CS6 and such) to your SSD. This way you will see much better loading times across the board. Applications will run more smoothly and faster.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
That depends entirely on your motherboard and PSU. If your motherboard has a second PCI Express slot, running at 8x or more (8x or 16x) and supports SLI, and if your PSU is powerfull enough (enough total watts and enough amps on the 12 rails), then yes you can SLI.

If not, then to SLI you will need to buy a new PSU and/or motherboard.

If that is the case, then just sell your 460 SE and buy a newer card, because a second 460 SE is going to be about £60 or something (if you can find one), but a suitable PSU is going to be another £60 at the least, and the motherboard could be £100 or more. And for that much money, you could just buy a new GPU.

The 460 SE is going to be OK with most games on medium settings or high. Some of the prettier games wont run on Very High settings too well.

If you upgraded to a GTX 660 or a Radeon 78XX or better, you would be able to run almost any game on very high settings.