Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Final rig specs, thoughts suggestions or concerns?

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 5:18:35 AM

Put this together with the help of a store guy, nekulturny here on the forums and a bit of troubleshooting with the significant other, it'll be our first build together my first build in general. Not terribly sure what else to say :hello: 

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) This week or next week depending on when I get time to hit the bank.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) irrelevant

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies) gaming , mostly socializing.. movies on occasion? burning blu-rays and dvds

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using** keyboard mouse speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) getting most of this stuff local just used pcpartpicker for ease of use on the web

Country: (e.g.: India) we need to know where these parts are being assembled lol i imagine north america ill be vacationing here for the summer months

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case) none honestly i have a compaq pre-built from 10 yrs ago brand loyalty doesn't mean much aside from that to me

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe more than likely not

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe also incredibly doubtful

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) i forget, but the monitor is in the description so whatevers stock on it or will work best

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC) just need it functional everything is is entirely secondary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: PNY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ CompUSA)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($157.98 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHBS212-08 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1485.85
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
June 21, 2012 5:31:01 AM

One quarrel with your build: the RAM. Get 1600 MHz as anything above that speed has diminishing returns and can void your warranty.
m
l

Best solution

June 21, 2012 11:52:48 AM

as azeem40 said, 1600mhz+ ram isnt going to benefit you much

id go with a ivy bridge i5 3570k and a asrock z77 extreme4 or a gigabyte z77x-ud3h mother board

the hyper 212 evo i think is slightly better...not sure with this one

for the monitor, i would have gotten the vs247h-p since it has a brighter screen. thats my personal preference
Related resources
June 21, 2012 12:10:33 PM

Azeem and TBT are right, but why would you pay extra for the unlocked processor, overclockable motherboard and an aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't plan on overclocking? Unless you want the option anyway or don't care about money I'd get an Core i5 3450, a cheap H77 mobo and use the stock cooler.
m
l
June 21, 2012 1:01:29 PM

Also, you should either upgrade the power supply to 750 watts for future SLI, or downgrade to 550 watts to power a single 670.
m
l
June 21, 2012 2:33:10 PM

I'm not downgrading the power supply, upgrading it sounds okay. Where I'm staying it is extremely hot that's why I wanted a serious cooler, my uncle's setup is stock and it always makes this vacuum like noise once it gets about 94 degrees or above outside. Could just be a fan but that stuff sounds ridiculous.

The guy at the store threw that cooler in if I was going to buy the case and PSU there so I nodded in agreement didn't seem like a big deal at the time. I'll get the 212 as a friend said the fans are 120mm's are easier to come by than the 92s

And I don't plan on overclocking because it is currently of no interest to me... I won't be the only one using said rig I'm pretty sure I said that up there. She infact may want to OC the machine I am a no frills kind of guy I want it to work and work well, she likes to tinker.

And I clearly don't care about the money.. the budget states irrelevant. It's not my dime it's a company covered expense.

I'll get the brighter monitor and different RAM and the CPU you suggested Troll.

The rest of it sounds meh but thank you other guys for the input.

Edit:
Lol @ SSD I've had 3 ppl tell me I don't need it on the rig unless I want to boot a lil faster, so unless more than three say I do I'm not overly interested in it.
m
l
June 27, 2012 11:56:44 PM

Best answer selected by that1bozo.
m
l
!