Semi-annual display setup contemplation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally posted this under 'flat panel monitors', but the topics down there don't seem to get much activity and since this also applies to 'Graphics & Displays' and 'Nvidia', here it is...

If you've seen any of my posts in the past, you know I contemplate getting a new display solution every 6 months or so and actually buy one every year to year and a half.

My latest dilemma is whether or not to go with a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 ips monitor as opposed to my current 120Hz 1080p monitor listed in my sig. I like my monitor, but I don't play anything in 3D all that much and I'm wondering if having a wider view of the world wouldn't give me an added edge with first-person shooters.

I am not so sure I want to head for a 3-monitor surround setup because I don't want to comprimise that much image quality and I don't want to buy a third 680 to accommodate this type of setup, but if I don't need an additional 680 to get good performance without compromising image detail, I would consider it.

I primarily play BF3 on this PC and am hesitant to go in the IPS direction due to the potential for input lag or ghosting issues. Anyone out there have experience with both the 120Hz monitors and the higher res IPS monitors? Is there noticeable input lag or ghosting on the IPS monitor in shooters? If there is noticeable input lag, does the advantage of having the wider view outweigh this? Anyone have any experience with the cheaper Yamasaki 2560x1440 monitors?

Is anyone running surround (5760x1080) with two 680s and feel this is a good setup? What kind of details do you have to give up to run effectively and as close to 60fps with 3 monitors?

I would prefer to stick with the single monitor simply due to the furniture involved, but if a 3-monitor surround setup is the way to go, I'd consider it for sure.

I know I list a lot of questions, but any advice/help with this would be much appreciated.

Solution
All I normally play are shooters, with the exception of New Vegas and Skyrim. I don't really notice that much of a delay with the 8ms response time, there's not too much ghosting although there is some. I would say that modern panels comparable to playing on TN LCD monitor from 2008/2009 or so.

sk1939

Distinguished
2560x1600 IPS would be the way to go if you want a high resolution display, but if your hardcore into FPS or Simulations, the 120Hz display handles fast motion better than an IPS panel (although IPS looks better).

The 680 would drive two monitors comfortably, but the issue becomes if you use Mosaic, as opposed to just an extended desktop.

I have experience with IPS panels, but none with 120Hz displays. I can tell you that the difference between a normal TN panel and an IPS panel has to do with the color depth, viewing angles, and resolution. TN Panels tend to be faster, so less motion blur/ghosting, but it's generally not too bad. The Overlocking forums has a custom order Yamsaki coming, but beyond that I have no experience with them, they are primarily gaming monitors from what I can recall. They are also glossy panels, depending on how you feel about that. You can read about the ghosting and performance of the Dell U2412 here, which gives some insight: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1312883832

At 24" - 27" at that resolution, I would say it is plenty big. I have a 24" HP, and it's ginormous, especially when I go to work on my Vaio which has a 12" screen (gah!).

Have you played any shooters on your IPS panels? Did you notice a delay at all?

sk1939

Distinguished
All I normally play are shooters, with the exception of New Vegas and Skyrim. I don't really notice that much of a delay with the 8ms response time, there's not too much ghosting although there is some. I would say that modern panels comparable to playing on TN LCD monitor from 2008/2009 or so.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.