Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2012 9:19:21 AM

Hi,
I am new to the forums but do need advice, i am upgrading my cpu from a dual core to a quad core
but need advice to which cpu cooling fan to use,my motherboard is M2R32-MVP from asus,and not sure what cooling fan to get. thanks for any help anyone can give me.

thanks again
Alex.

More about : upgrade

October 25, 2012 9:46:43 AM

You may already be aware but modern Intel CPUs include a cooler in the box. These are absolutely fine if you're not planning to overclock your CPU.
October 25, 2012 9:50:33 AM

sam_p_lay said:
You may already be aware but modern Intel CPUs include a cooler in the box. These are absolutely fine if you're not planning to overclock your CPU.

As you have an AMD motherboard you may also be glad to know that modern AMD CPU's include a cooler in the box too.

As to cooling if you buy a CPU that doesn't have a heatsink and fan the choices are quite big. If you don't plan to overclock (or just mild OC) though this is a really good cheaper solution http://www.cclonline.com/product/76741/RR-TX3E-22PK-R1/...
Related resources
October 25, 2012 9:53:13 AM

Buy the retail version of the AMD CPU and the Coolermaster stock fan will work just fine.
October 25, 2012 10:01:38 AM

Hi,
thanks for quick reply but i have already bought the cpu which is a phenom x4 9950, i am on a tight budget since i was retired last year thats why i though of going in stages,i think everything else is ok,
but cannot be sure, it just the cooler i am struggling with at the moment.
many thanks
Alex.
October 25, 2012 11:19:42 AM

Hi, WR6133 I have a fan its the one that came with the computer, i know its an AMD but not sure what type,
sorry about that,works alright with my dual core but i though a quad would need a better fan but i really dont know,most grateful for your help.
Thanks
Alex
October 25, 2012 11:24:23 AM

Depending on what your old CPU was it could be the same fan as was supplied with the phenom quad.

Personally I would get an aftermarket though if you can as they run cooler and quieter also if your old one is old it may not be at its best anymore.
October 25, 2012 11:54:15 AM

my old cpu was athlon x2 4200+and the fan was supplied with it,i have had five years with a few upgrades,
i was not very sure if it was up to the job, but i think you are right i will get a new one.
thanks for your help.
Alex
October 25, 2012 11:58:41 AM

Your welcome enjoy your upgrade you should see a decent improvement with the newer CPU
!