Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst Driver INF error

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2012 4:00:28 PM

I just bought a new Asus Radeon HD 6670 and threw it into my rig hosting Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It was replacing an Asus nVidia GeForce GT 210 that became too weak for current titles. I was also having driver update issues with the 210 which made we switch to Radeon, hoping that the drivers will be a breeze to install and update. I was wrong. My new card drivers will not install on my system. I get "INF file was not found" half way through then "Install failure" at the end. With the nVidia card I would just get "Install Failure".

Now before I switched the cards I downloaded the most current driver for the 6670 and tried to uninstall nVidia drivers. In my Program List the driver (273.5X I think?) is still listed. I clicked uninstall, nothing happens. I removed all nVidia folders after attempting to uninstall the listed driver about ten times. I powered down my system, and switched the cards, booted up, and ran the installer for the new Radeon driver. I got INF not found, and then Install failure. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? I'm debating to just do a clean install of the OS (I only have games so I won't loose much I can't replace except time.) Any suggestions? Also, trying to boot into "safe mode" if I press and hold "F8" the whole time during boot I get sent to a different options list that requires me to hit my reset button to get out of.
April 26, 2012 5:29:19 PM

First of try from nvidia or online a drive sweeper to clean out the old drivers. with the new card have you gone to ati web site and downloaded the newest drivers?? both nvidia and ati install programs are real good i never seen them not be able to install unless windows was damaged. on windows itself when the last time you did a malware and virus scan??
m
l
April 26, 2012 5:40:29 PM

smorizio said:
First of try from nvidia or online a drive sweeper to clean out the old drivers. with the new card have you gone to ati web site and downloaded the newest drivers?? both nvidia and ati install programs are real good i never seen them not be able to install unless windows was damaged. on windows itself when the last time you did a malware and virus scan??

When trying to update nvidia drivers they were always the latest, and the ati is the latest for my card and OS. I will try a drive sweeper, any recommendations? Also, under Device Manager for the card the current driver is the Windows VGA one, which runs my monitor at weird resolutions. (AOC 24" full 1080p monitor)
m
l
!