I7 3770k possible overheating?

dansus18

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hi Guys,

ive just recently brought a i7 3770k with a noctura d14 cooler , its not overclocked as of yet when idleing it sits at about 40 deg celsius, but when im playing BF3 my cpu is reaching temperatures up to 85 deg Celsius...

is this normal?

thehumanidiot

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
No you're running a bit too hot...i have the same processor withthe stock cooler(also not over clocked) and i barely go above 72 deg C...make sure your case has proper air flow and that your cooler is connected properly

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
That cooler should be decent, and those temps are too high, but I would try and re-seat the cooler, re-apply thermal paste and all that. Make sure the cooler is properly attached to the motherboard. Should be a lot cooler than that.

LW_Black4

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
That cooler should be superior to the stock cooler. Are the fans running and do they ramp up (faster) when the cpu starts to heat up?

If not, I'd check that they are connected properly to a cpu fan header on the motherboard.

After that, I'd check the cooler-to-cpu interface fitting, like they've suggested above.

dansus18

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
The cooler heat sink is sitting on top of the 1 RAM and ive had to offset the first intake fan up a little to fit over the RAM,

Im using corsair dominator RAM, the heat sinks are too high and is toucjing the cooler.

sorry if that made no sense, im not very computer orientated

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
No that makes a lot of sense. I always steer clear of the Dominator RAM (for this very reason), I prefer the XMS3. But still, I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference from the fan being elevated slightly.

Heh - LW_Black4 is right, check the fan is connected to the correct header on the motherboard. Check your BIOS settings and ramp up the onboard fan controller speed as much as possible.

Failing that, in some cases (for butch overclocks and such) I have just connected my CPU fan directly to the PSU using a molex-to-3pin-fan adapter. This way the fan is just locked at 100% speed.

I reckon it is worth making sure the cooler is properly attached to the motherboard. And a good thermal paste is used. And the plastic film was peeled off the bottom of the heatsink (obvious, I know)

dansus18

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
ive read that i can take the heat sinks off the RAM, so ill give that a shot.

But like what you guys have said about it not being attached properly, ill try to re-do it and ill let you guys know if it worked. since my CPU isnt overclocked there should be no reason for it be overheating.

Would the case have anything to do with it regarding the air flow into the case?

Cheers for the help!

John01_S

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
That seems very high for non OC. This processor gets hot very fast with Vcore. The Motherboard bios defaults
will enable Turbo and speedstep and raise the Vcore ( to around 1.25 on my asus z77)

With Vcore set at @ 1.05 and load line control mine runs at room temp ( 22C) at idle and 40C under Intel Burn