Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Build opinions needed!

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 7:33:52 AM

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

My friend wanted me to post his build because his computer is broke lmao just wanted some opinions on a first time builder.
What would you recommend.

More about : build opinions needed

June 21, 2012 7:37:05 AM

amd >
m
l

Best solution

June 21, 2012 12:09:10 PM

pouty said:
amd >

How?

Anyway, that build is pretty unbalanced. Can see numerous things that are a bit off.

Its got a premium platform (with an overkill $600 processor) and a low end Graphics Card. So in a gaming scenario, that vastly expensive CPU and motherboard is going to be pointless as an i3 on LGA1155 would give the same performance with that GPU. Get a GTX670 if you want proper gaming.

A full tower case and a Micro-ATX motherboard? Get something bigger.

PSU is overkill, especially considering that you wouldn't want to run SLI on that small a board. You only need 600W on a single card setup, 750W for Dual.

8GB of RAM? Thats perfect for gaming, but you go onto the X79 for Video Editing and other very processor and RAM intensive activities. So the potential of X79 and that very expensive processor are effectively being wasted here. And why the hell would you want a 4x2GB kit?, it means that you have all your slots filled for only 8GB of RAM. get a 2x4GB or a single 8GB stick.

That 3.5" card reader wont fit anywhere on that case, no external 3.5" bays.

That HDD is $20 too expensive, this one is identical and cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The bluetooth dongle maybe justified, but that plug in wireless isnt. There are a million internal wireless internet cards out there that will serve as a better solution (and wont take a USB slot)

The extra fans should be on the other side of that EVO, not on the case. The stock 200mm fan is already red LED and a 140mm wont fit anywhere.

I would advise your friend to go back down to the LGA1155 platform and build a more balanced rig, he can get so much more with his $2000. An i5-3570k (or i7 3770k for video Editing), 8GB (or 16GB if editing) of RAM and a GTX670 will perform much better than the current rig.
Related resources
June 21, 2012 12:37:04 PM

You obviously have a large budget and want top-of-the-line performance. What are your primary uses for the new build?
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:00:39 AM

Primary uses for the build are going to be for gaming.

The thing with his build the processor he got a deal for he got that processor for 200 dollars through his work. I will tell him all the options you guys told him though. Thanks for the help!
m
l
June 22, 2012 4:35:08 AM

bump
m
l
June 22, 2012 5:21:20 AM

manofchalk said:
How?

Anyway, that build is pretty unbalanced. Can see numerous things that are a bit off.

Its got a premium platform (with an overkill $600 processor) and a low end Graphics Card. So in a gaming scenario, that vastly expensive CPU and motherboard is going to be pointless as an i3 on LGA1155 would give the same performance with that GPU. Get a GTX670 if you want proper gaming.

A full tower case and a Micro-ATX motherboard? Get something bigger.

PSU is overkill, especially considering that you wouldn't want to run SLI on that small a board. You only need 600W on a single card setup, 750W for Dual.

8GB of RAM? Thats perfect for gaming, but you go onto the X79 for Video Editing and other very processor and RAM intensive activities. So the potential of X79 and that very expensive processor are effectively being wasted here. And why the hell would you want a 4x2GB kit?, it means that you have all your slots filled for only 8GB of RAM. get a 2x4GB or a single 8GB stick.

That 3.5" card reader wont fit anywhere on that case, no external 3.5" bays.

That HDD is $20 too expensive, this one is identical and cheaper.

The bluetooth dongle maybe justified, but that plug in wireless isnt. There are a million internal wireless internet cards out there that will serve as a better solution (and wont take a USB slot)

The extra fans should be on the other side of that EVO, not on the case. The stock 200mm fan is already red LED and a 140mm wont fit anywhere.

I would advise your friend to go back down to the LGA1155 platform and build a more balanced rig, he can get so much more with his $2000. An i5-3570k (or i7 3770k for video Editing), 8GB (or 16GB if editing) of RAM and a GTX670 will perform much better than the current rig.

^^ This
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:24:20 AM

Manofchalk, thank you for the feedback and advice. I am the one building this computer and I didn't realize that the motherboard was a microATX until you said something about it (shows how much I read about that one). Although I would like to validate some of the other peices I'm going to be purchasing.

1. I am in employee at Best Buy so we have accommodations through different companies and vendors where I can get special pricing. I purchased my processor for $200 straight from intel and I got my hard drive from WD for $95, so that is why I went with those 2 parts.

2. I'm going with 8GB (4x2) because more than 8GB is unneeded and also most of the LGA2011 socket type motherboards are quad channel.

3. The PSU is an 850W because I do plan on adding atleast another graphics card and possibly upgrading them both.

4. I plan on getting a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter for the card reader.

5. I have 2 extra 200mm fans, 1 to be mounted on the side (no LEDs) and the extra one on the top (2nd red LED). The 140mm gets mounted in the front under all the 5.25 bays and works as a hard drive cooling fan.

6. As far as the doggles go, I bought them for the hell of it, I'm most likely going to be using my power line adapter for networking and though the Bluetooth would be fun but thanks for the card recommendation.

7. The EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 Ti is the best graphics card sold at Best Buy so I figured I'd use my discount on that and save some for now but like stated before I plan on adding a second card and/or upgrading in the future.

I will let you know what motherboard I plan on going with probably tomorrow. Again, thanks for the feedback. If there are any spelling of grammatical errors I do apologize, I'm using my iPhone to type this. Please feel free to comment back.

~Ploxi
Check out FreshGaming.net, where Gamers get Better.
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:24:30 AM

ploxi said:
Manofchalk, thank you for the feedback and advice. I am the one building this computer and I didn't realize that the motherboard was a microATX until you said something about it (shows how much I read about that one). Although I would like to validate some of the other peices I'm going to be purchasing.

1. I am in employee at Best Buy so we have accommodations through different companies and vendors where I can get special pricing. I purchased my processor for $200 straight from intel and I got my hard drive from WD for $95, so that is why I wen with those 2 parts.

2. I'm going with 8GB (4x2) because more than 8GB is unneeded and also most of the LGA2011 socket type motherboards are quad channel.

3. The PSU is an 850W because I do plan on adding atleast another graphics card and possibly upgrading them both.

4. I plan on getting a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter for the card reader.

5. I have 2 extra 200mm fans, 1 to be mounted on the side (no LEDs) and the extra one on the top (2nd red LED). The 140mm gets mounted in the front under all the 5.25 bays and works as a hard drive cooling fan.

6. As far as the doggles go, I bought them for the hell of it, I'm most likely going to be using my power line adapter for networking and though the Bluetooth would be fun but thanks for the card recommendation.

I will let you know what motherboard I plan on going with probably tomorrow. Again, thanks for the feedback. If there are any spelling of grammatical errors I do apologize, I'm using my iPhone to type this. Please feel free to comment back.

~Ploxi

1. You got that CPU for $200... everyone else is being so ripped off. HDD price is typical for what your getting.

2. I would still advise getting a 2x4GB RAM kit, quad channel does have a performance gain, but its not worth losing your upgradability. If you ever do decide to get 16GB, you wont have to throw out the existing kit there and buy a 4x4GB kit, you just have to buy another 2x4GB kit.

3. 750W on dual cards and overclocking is still sufficient, other factors such as fans and HDD's wont really make that much on an impact.

4. Ok then.

5. Thats fine, I personally like using all my fan possibilities in a case. But since you are getting all these fans, you should get one where it really counts, on the CPU heatsink. Iv got dual fans in a push/pull through my 212 EVO and temperatures always stay under 60 (i5-3570k @ 4.2Ghz).

6. Always better off with a hardwired solution than a plug in one.

Now, your friend said that you intend this to be a gaming rig, and the 8GB of RAM tells me it is. You'r GPU is very under powered compared to the rest of the rig. The 560Ti was a mid range card (admittedly a great one) last generation, it is currently toeing the border between budget and mid-range cards. For a rig with that powerful a CPU, that will bottleneck gaming so badly. You will want a 7870 at minimum to do justice to the rest of the build, a GTX670 or HD7970 (new drivers being released put it around equal GTX680 performance) should be in there. With your $400 saving on the CPU, you have the funds for either of those cards right there.

For a motherboard, may I suggest the AsRock X79 Extreme7, 5 PCI-E3 slots at 16x (all run at 8x if all are filled or 16/0 16/0/8), So its perfect for Crossfire/SLI. Comes in a bit cheaper ($20), 6 RAM slots and AsRock in the latest gen of motherboards have produced amazing boards. Full ATX size as well.
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:43:40 AM

Thank you for replying again. I see your points in upgrading the graphics card but the truth is when I started building this machine I was planning on spending about $1000 but then found out about the deal I could be with this processor which did entail a higher price motherboard so I'm a little over my budget right now. That's why I'm probably going to go with the 560 Ti but when I get a new card(s) I will definately be looking for the higher quality ones as you suggested.

As for cooling, I know my build has a heat sink in it but I am going to do liquid cooling, purchased from Best Buy.

For the RAM I am going to converse with a friend of mine who is goin to help me put it all together and see what I should do but I totally see why your recommending a 2x4.

The motherboard that you recommended has actually been on my radar for awhile. I'm a HUGE ASUS fan and just recently found out that ASRock is owned or something like that by ASUS. So as of right now I'm going either ASUS or ASRock. I did notice that in your signature that you have an ASRock motherboard listed in your system right now. How do you like it and what made you decide that that was the right one for you? Just wondering not degrading your desicion at all.

~Ploxi
FreshGaming.net; where Gamers get Better.
m
l
June 22, 2012 9:05:44 AM

If you browse threads around here you'l find the Extreme4 recommended everywhere. Its a cheap Z77 motherboard that has proper Dual SLI/Crossfire support and features that you typically find on higher end motherboards. In-built on/off switch, the LED debug system, clear CMOS button on the rear I/O and good placement of PCI-E, RAM slots (my 212 EVO only impedes on the far left RAM slot, and even then I could probably just adjust the fan a bit higher to fit one there) and other headers make it very easy to use in a build. Overclocking in and generally using the EUFI BIOS is simple and all make's sense.

AsRock also supports with a couple of programs like Xfast LAN and USB, which essentially will speed up certain things in your internet connection, and increases performance on a particular set of USB slots of your choice. Plus the board fit the colour scheme of my build, very important in a windowed case.

Only downside I found wasn't with the board, but with the included CD for drivers. It just didnt work, but you should download the latest drivers and firmware anyway so no big deal.

In short, I like it very much.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:05:25 AM

I have updated my build with very thing that I have purchased. If you get a chance can you look at it and tell me what you think.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:07:26 AM

manofchalk said:
If you browse threads around here you'l find the Extreme4 recommended everywhere.

Except HardOCP, which I don't get.
m
l
June 25, 2012 5:26:18 AM

Bump
m
l
June 25, 2012 6:28:21 AM

The PSU is still overkill, dual cards and overclocking will not get near exhausting 750W, and cards in the future will only get more power efficient.

Still think you should get 2 sticks instead of four, but we'v been over this. The 8 RAM slots will let you have upgradability at least.

Get a integrated wireless network card rather than a USB one. With dual cards on the mobo, you still have another 2 slots to put it in.
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:02:12 AM

Well everything is on order already so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:54:35 PM

Best answer selected by Mxgdmn.
m
l
!