Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded cpu from d to core 2 duo and runs slower ?!

Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2012 2:04:38 PM

hello i upgraded cu from pentium d 805 2.66ghz to pentium core 2 duo e6300 1.86ghz and surpisingly my old d 805 got better fps in gaming ??? what he heck :pfff:  i read that core 2 duos are really better than d series.... and someone suggest to upgrade to core 2 duo ,and when i play games looks like one core is runing at full and other barely runing ? i cheked after minimizing game ,btw i have this mobo http://tiptop.lt/preke/mb-g41-ich7-s775-matx-g41m-p26-m... and geforce gt 220 .... (tryed to oc to 2ghz pretty much same fps,really disappointed ... any help ?? :cry: 
October 25, 2012 2:17:02 PM

It's probably because the game doesn't utilize more than one core, and seeing as how your core 2 duo runs at almost 1.00ghz less than your original processor, the core 2 duo is not going to run the game as well. Basically you went from a good single core processor to a poor dual core, and when both cores aren't used for a specific application (e.g. your game), the core 2 duo will lag behind the pentium. Sorry bro :( 
October 25, 2012 2:30:41 PM

pathetic... it coasts more in internet everyone says core 2 duo is better,btw both are 2 cores processors ,so really wtf even one guy in here suggestted to upgrade from d 805 to core 2 duo e6300.... :pfff:  could it be its hardware problem ,i replaced it wrong or something in windows or bios... one pin of heatsink is kinda loose and broken but still sits stable ant temps are ok... done bios reset.... really cant believe d 805 is better .... wtf
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 2:48:37 PM

Augray37 said:
It's probably because the game doesn't utilize more than one core, and seeing as how your core 2 duo runs at almost 1.00ghz less than your original processor, the core 2 duo is not going to run the game as well.

For the technically challenged like you, I'd like mention that the Pentium D is A DUAL CORE PROCESSOR :hello: 

AFAIK, the E6300 should definitely be slightly better that the Pentium D, despite the lower frequency...especially when OC'd to 2GHz....something else is the issue here, though i can't seem to figure out what it may be...
October 25, 2012 2:52:22 PM

atleast some games runs better like crysis,burnout paradise runs like 15-20 fps slower than before.... maybe it's really bad optimized game problem,gonna test more games....
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 2:58:37 PM

jmganjaman said:
atleast some games runs better like crysis,burnout paradise runs like 15-20 fps slower than before.... maybe it's really bad optimized game problem,gonna test more games....

Have you confirmed the clock frequency of your E6300 using CPU-z or something during full load? Also check the temperature of the cores.
Possibly if the CPU cooler is not fixed properly, the chip could be overheating and throttling its speed down. Also, it would help to flash your BIOS with the latest version (if not already done before upgrading), and reset all settings to default.
a c 188 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 3:04:01 PM

The fastest of the Intel® Pentium® D that we made was the Intel Pentium 965 Extreme Edition at 3.73GHz. When we released the Intel Core™ 2 Duo's I picked up the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2.13GHz and if you compared the two processors and the 20 benchmarks they ran here at the time the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 outperformed the Intel Pentium 965 Extreme Edition in 16 out of 20.

Let me ask you when you changed out the processor did you reinstall the OS or the add more RAM? This move you go from a 32bit processor to the a 64bit. Also did you check to make sure that FSB had auto changed to match the 1066 FSB of the Intel Core 2 Duo e6300?
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 3:28:48 PM

Perhaps the motherboard only supports up to 800mhz FSB
Please provide the motherboard model number/code
October 25, 2012 3:32:41 PM

motherboard is ok ,i got 2gb ddr 3 1333mhz ram,not installed or reistaled nothing,i got win xp 32 bit ,temps are ok... as i said some games runs better than before
November 2, 2012 1:50:49 AM

$hawn said:
For the technically challenged like you, I'd like mention that the Pentium D is A DUAL CORE PROCESSOR :hello: 

AFAIK, the E6300 should definitely be slightly better that the Pentium D, despite the lower frequency...especially when OC'd to 2GHz....something else is the issue here, though i can't seem to figure out what it may be...

So i made a mistake. what do you want me to do, go off myself? sheesh.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:53:06 AM

I would find it hard to imagine any C2D is slower then most any Pentium D.

Aside from making sure the BIOS settings are set up right, you are sure the mobo supports C2D processors?
February 14, 2013 10:01:14 PM

jmganjaman said:
hello i upgraded cu from pentium d 805 2.66ghz to pentium core 2 duo e6300 1.86ghz and surpisingly my old d 805 got better fps in gaming ??? what he heck :pfff:  i read that core 2 duos are really better than d series.... and someone suggest to upgrade to core 2 duo ,and when i play games looks like one core is runing at full and other barely runing ? i cheked after minimizing game ,btw i have this mobo http://tiptop.lt/preke/mb-g41-ich7-s775-matx-g41m-p26-m... and geforce gt 220 .... (tryed to oc to 2ghz pretty much same fps,really disappointed ... any help ?? :cry: 

Hey,Name's Ed,you can get me at mr.optima@hotmail.com

I have a Dell with the same processor that you upgraded to and, said to say, you were badly misleaded, the e6300 processor is one of the worst processors I have come across. I previously had an emachines with a Pentium D 930 SL95X @3.00GHz and that was better by far, I am about to put it into the Dell and hope for the same result.
While the Core Duo's are no doubt better, I will Defend the D series anyday, the only con I have found with the D series, the one I mentoined above particularly is that it has a slightly lower FSB speed than the Processor that I am running right now(Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 @1.86GHz) so, I hope that that's enough for you never to abandon your D series again :)  ^_^...
!