When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003

If you're wanting the contents of your 'C' drive to open with Windows
Explorer rather than your 'My Documents' folder then right-click on Windows
Explorer and hit Properties. Change the target to:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\ . (Easiest to cut and paste)

"Fizzikal" <fizzelled@workout.spa> wrote in message
> When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
> expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

Looks like Kelly has something
http://www.mcse.ms/message1386452.html

"Fizzikal" <fizzelled@workout.spa> wrote in message
> When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
> expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

Tx 4 response. Had tried that tweak and didn't do what was
looking for. Wasn't having problem with My Documents opening
on Start-up. Rather was looking for something that prevents the
My Music, My Pictures and My Video folders from auto showing
under My Documents when open Windows Explorer.

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Looks like Kelly has something
> http://www.mcse.ms/message1386452.html
>

> "Fizzikal" <fizzelled@workout.spa> wrote in message
>> When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
>> expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. Customize it by
changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the Target
field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder

1. Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select Properties.
2. In the Target box, type:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path

Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the
directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or C:\Documents
and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection, type
explorer.exe /e,

Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP

Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP

Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Fizzikal" <fizzelled@workout.spa> wrote in message
> When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
> expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

Thanks for all replies and will follow further suggestions. Just
another customization tweak wanted to try.

> By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. Customize it
> by
> changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the
> Target
> field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder
>
> 1. Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select
> Properties.
> 2. In the Target box, type:
> %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path
>
> Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the
> directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or
> C:\Documents
> and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection,
> type explorer.exe /e,
>
> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
>
> Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
>
> Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=257518
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Fizzikal" <fizzelled@workout.spa> wrote in message
>> When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
>> expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

Just did your cut and paste suggestion and Windows Explorer
opens way wanted it to without the My Documents' sub-folders
showing. Tx so much for the fix.

"ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you're wanting the contents of your 'C' drive to open with Windows
> Explorer rather than your 'My Documents' folder then right-click on
> Windows Explorer and hit Properties. Change the target to:
> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\ . (Easiest to cut and paste)
>

> "Fizzikal" <fizzelled@workout.spa> wrote in message
>> When open Windows Explorer, My Documents automatically
>> expands. Is there a way/tweak to prevent this? Tx.

These three are subfolders of My Documents

My Documents actual name is
C:\Documents and Settings\Trevor\My Documents

My Music actual name is
C:\Documents and Settings\Trevor\My Documents\My Music

My Pictures actual name is
C:\Documents and Settings\Trevor\My Documents\My Pictures

My Videos actual name is
C:\Documents and Settings\Trevor\My Documents\My Videos
(where Trevor changes to your name in every case)

I can't see how you can prevent them from showing under My Documents.

Unless of course you move them to somewhere else. I have seen posts on this
Newsgroup about doing just that. The problem is not that you can't move
them, but that the system has to know that they have been moved

Perhaps someone who know more can reply along these lines.
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

folders from auto showing
under My Documents when open Windows Explorer

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

You're welcome

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP