Sign in with
Your question

Close to purchase time. More changes to build.

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 8:15:41 AM

Next weekend is purchase time so I decided to save some cash and downgrade a couple components.

Stuff that's the same

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: i5 3570k (OC'ing to 4.3 to 4.5)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750w
Case: Corsair 300R

Updates

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce GV-N670OC-2GD (Slight downgrade from the MSi Twin Frozr IV model, saved $30 for basically the same card)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB 1600 (Lower profile that my G.Skill Sniper series, which is an issue due to CPU cooler size, also I really don't need 1866. Saved $10)
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB (Was a Samsung 830 Series 120GB but this saves me $25)
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (Was going to go Corsair H80 but this is a significant savings over that. $75 worth, also I hear nothing but praise for this cooler so I'm giving it a shot. Though I believe it will be a tight fit in the case I'm not to worried. Anyone here by chance have a 300R with this cooler that can lemme know?)

Total now comes to: $1114.93

Thoughts and what not. (Also thanks for the helpful tips I've been getting so far, folks here are great)
June 21, 2012 12:02:37 PM

id change some stuff

1: you can get a xfx 750w and it would be about the same thing but much cheaper. xfx power supplies are made by seasonic who make the corsair ax series

2:for the motherboard, id suggest getting something like a z77x-ud3h or a z77x-ud5h from gigabyte. i think both of them are cheaper than the asus while the ud5h has more features. the ud3h is usually more than enough for most uses

3: the windforce actually has a much better cooler just saying

4:kingston ram is bad for intel. it runs at 1.65v and that is out of spec for the intel memory controllers. get ram such as mushkin blackline, crucial ballistix sport, gskill ripjaws x, or any cheap ram that runs at 1.5v

5:: agility 3 sucks alot. get something like a mushkin chronos deluxe mx if you want to save money while getting around the same performance of a 830. (the 830 destroys most ssds)

6:the hyper 212 evo is slightly better than the plus. better desgin. h80 is good for people who dont have much space which in your case, no. you will have tons of space to mount a hyper 212 evo
June 21, 2012 10:35:03 PM

Of course Newegg would sell out of the Windforce when I decide I want it. Good thing I have till next weekend. Swapped SSD, RAM, and MOBO for what you suggested. I actually had the UD3H originally before I switched to that Asus model. Thanks
Related resources
June 21, 2012 10:44:20 PM

why not swap out the power supply? seasonic im sure makes stuff that is better than CWT

FYI, CWT makes all of corsairs lower end stuff from the builder series to the hx series
June 21, 2012 10:47:13 PM

Reverend_Mason said:
Of course Newegg would sell out of the Windforce when I decide I want it. Good thing I have till next weekend. Swapped SSD, RAM, and MOBO for what you suggested. I actually had the UD3H originally before I switched to that Asus model. Thanks

The G-Skill Sniper will fit just fine under a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.
June 21, 2012 10:53:20 PM

TheBigTroll said:
why not swap out the power supply? seasonic im sure makes stuff that is better than CWT

FYI, CWT makes all of corsairs lower end stuff from the builder series to the hx series

Well at the moment the one I'm looking at is cheaper. Also I've never heard anything bad about the psu so I figure why change it if it's quality.

Also thanks moornix, more choices to deal with! (But seriously thanks)
June 21, 2012 11:01:27 PM

i am pretty dam sure that mushkin ram is cheaper than the gskill sniper but then again it is your preference
!