Can you upgrade Atom CPU's in Win8 hybrid tablets?

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I want to buy a Windows 8 convertible hybrid tablet, but I thought I should ask you all for your advice first. The big question is, Atom (x86), or RT?

Most of my day is spent in Word, Outlook and a browser on a core i5 laptop, but it is not unusual for me to have a dozen or so apps open at a time. The thing is, I got this iPad a few months ago, and the portability factor is amazing. I can do maybe 50% of my work just about anywhere now, and the battery never goes below 40%. Only, if I had Office on my tablet I could do maybe 75-80% of my work on it, if I can get good battery life..

I would get a core i5 hybrid, but am concerned about battery life. I could probably use an RT hybrid once they work the bugs out, as I can probably find the functionality I need in the Windows store. However, I think I might prefer an Atom x86 model (just in case), but at the moment, the Atom processors are only 2 cores. Will I be able to upgrade a 2 core Atom to a 4 core Atom when they come out in 2013? I understand the new 4 core models will be greatly improved on the 2 core models.

And is there any other advice? Thanks very much in advance.