Sign in with
Your question

Issues with installing Lucid MVP on z77 sabertooth, i5 2550k

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2012 7:17:57 PM

I have been unable to install Lucid MVP software on my computer because of an error msg: "there is no integrated graphics detected." My specs are:

Widows 7 64bit professional
z77sabertooth mobo
i5 2550K
HD 6850 updated with catalyst control
16 gb ddr3 1600mhz Corsair vengence
90gb Corsair SSD force 3 gt
640gb 7200rpm WD caviar blue

The graphics card works perfectly and has been running fine in-game, and is updated to the current drivers. I have no idea of what i should do.

If any one has any suggestions or have been experiencing the same problem please let me know.
April 26, 2012 7:19:16 PM

Sounds like Lucid MVP requires Ivy Bridge to work properly, but don't quote me on that.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:18:23 PM

I thought the 2550 was the same as the 2500 but WITHOUT the integrated Intel HD3000 graphics....amirite?

Lucid is for integrated graphics running on a same machine as a discrete graphics card. You don't have integrated graphics if you have the 2550.

Your graphics card is not "integrated graphics".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2012 8:33:24 PM

Maybe your integrated graphics is disabled in BIOS?
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:41:03 PM

catatafish said:
I thought the 2550 was the same as the 2500 but WITHOUT the integrated Intel HD3000 graphics....amirite?

Lucid is for integrated graphics running on a same machine as a discrete graphics card. You don't have integrated graphics if you have the 2550.

ahhhhhh yup... I forgot about this

This is correct.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:42:29 PM

catatafish said:

Yup the 2550k does not have IGP
m
l
April 27, 2012 8:26:48 AM

Yes I know that the 2550k does not have integrated graphics. The issues is that lucid MVP should work on discrete graphics cards. There is no requirement for integrated graphics as far as I can't tell from their software requirements, you just have to have either integrated or discrete graphics. I'm just wondering if for some reason the lucid MVP does not recognize my gpu and instead looks for an integrated graphics chip. Or if there are issues z77 chipset or maybe some windows 7 issue. Maybe I am wrong but I thought that lucid MVP should work fine with just descrete graphics.

Also I am wondering if anyone else is having any similar issues with lucid running this CPU and/or z77 chipset.
m
l
April 27, 2012 8:30:40 AM

Oh I just found out that the lucid does require integrated graphics and runs it concurrently with the descrete card. Thanks for everyone's responses and excuse my lack of understanding.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 9:07:57 AM

http://www.lucidlogix.com/technology-virtual-graphics.h...

What baffles me is this:
The entire point is to save power by disabling the discrete graphics card, however to do so it must be hooked up to the motherboard's output.

But if you have a discrete graphics card it doesn't operate at full performance if you don't hook up to it directly (overhead by sending signals back through PCIe back to the integrated graphics).

So why would you even use this feature?

I mean, they basically contradict themselves:
"d-Mode is provided for demanding 3D gamers to achieve uncompromised 3D performance of the discrete GPU installed in the system."

Right, so you need to hook up to the dedicated card for full performance. But they say this right after:

"As 3D graphics performance is merely the same in i-Mode and d-Mode it is strongly recommended to connect the display to the integrated GPU, allowing power saving."

Uh, what?
m
l
April 27, 2012 10:40:43 AM

^^^ reviews of the tech all show results like this, where sometimes framerate improves and sometimes it is lower

It's what convinced me it was OK to go ahead with a z68 build
m
l
April 27, 2012 12:45:37 PM

My understanding is Lucid allows a pass through when not using the other. So you hook it up to the discrete GPU, and with the right BIOS setting you can still enjoy the benefits of HD3000 when converting vids.

I don't use it. I have 1 monitor hooked up to the integrated slot, and 2 monitors hooked up to my 560Ti.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 3:19:09 PM

catatafish said:
My understanding is Lucid allows a pass through when not using the other. So you hook it up to the discrete GPU, and with the right BIOS setting you can still enjoy the benefits of HD3000 when converting vids.

I don't use it. I have 1 monitor hooked up to the integrated slot, and 2 monitors hooked up to my 560Ti.

It's more complicated than that if you read through the entire article:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4651/lucid_virtu_mvp_...

I link to this page because it shows one card much better and one game worse and it varies between games for the same card. I'm also not sure if driver support updates will do anything, and again if you need to reboot in between games to change to the best option that's not desirable.

I'm also not sure if it would affect NVidia's Adaptive VSYNC feature etc.
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:46:02 PM

I have personally done tests with, and without LUCID VIRTU (MVP and Regular).
I've found some peculiar results, also found with most review sites.

THIS POST IS QUITE LONG, SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME ON THE RESULTS OF VIRTU.

Many of the Pros and Cons sort of negate each other anyway, so it all comes down to preference... I think.

My setup consists of:

Corsair Graphite 600T-White
INTEL i5-3570k (4.4GHz OC)
ASUS Sabertooth z77
G.SKILL Sniper 16GB 1600MHz (4x4GB)
EVGA GTX 670 (Default clock speeds, no OC)
Corsair H100
320GB 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue [6.0Gb/s] (My 500GB, Caviar Black died on me so this was a temporary replacement drive)
And yes, sadly I don't have SSD with that setup. SOON! :D 

So here are some quick explanations, and to this day, it is quite obvious that LUCID has updated their drivers since then so there will be better improvements. Currently I am running VIRTU MVP VERSION 2.1.115.23184, through IGP Default.

1) EXPLANATION: As stated previously in this forum discussion, Lucid Virtu requires BOTH a processor's IGP (Integrated Processors) and a discrete-level GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) to be present in a motherboard model that support the display output of the IGP. Also, the motherboard must have proper BIOS support for these features.

2) INSTRUCTIONS: Within the motherboard, ex: Z77, H77, Z68, etc., There is an option to enable the IGP output or GPU. Enabling the PRIORITY for the first output will determine what performance you will have. So, if you pick the IGP as the default, the GPU will kick in when you need the graphics performance for games or graphics-intensive applications. If you pick your graphics card as the default, then the IGP will activate when you need quick-sync or applications concerning video/picture editing.

You either have a setup that takes a slight performance hit with massive electric-bill savings, or you have a setup that has a GPU always-on with IGP benefits.

So you either save power, you don't for the sake of further graphics power.
Most tests show, including my own, that using any level of VIRTU with IGP+GPU brings some kind of benefit.
If you want to save electricity, and don't need to game excessively, change the setting in your BIOS to IGP default, install Virtu / Virtu MVP, enjoy the benefits of an energy-efficient system.

If you could care less what your bill is like (to a certain extent :??:  ) then switch the settings in your BIOS to GPU default, install Virtu / Virtu MVP, enjoy the benefits of a GPU with boosts. This setup is also extremely awesome for those who have a DX11 Ivy bridge CPU, as the DX11 HD4000 and your DX11 GPU will work together to render faster FPS (Frames Per Second). However, do note that sometimes you will get artifacts if your drivers are outdated or BETA with glitches.

3) PERSONAL THOUGHTS: I have to say though, VIRTU MVP is the most unstable application I have ever dealt with. It is frustrating. I'm not quite so sure why, but it gives me an error if I try to change any of the options. Like, if I try to change the logo option to: "Show for a few seconds" or "switch to the Top Right Corner", or I attempt to turn OFF/ON Hyper Performance or Virtual V-Sync, it often flips out on me with an error message, and shortly crashes right after. Good thing Regular VIRTU is very stable with no problems.

4) TEST RESULTS: I have been testing using only two games so far, StarCraft 2 and Battlefield 3, on a 1920x1080 resolution monitor (5ms).
One is CPU-intensive, and the other is GPU-intensive, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to test only those two, for now.

In SC2 (Low-Medium Settings), without VIRTU, running by GPU-Default, I get about 180+ FPS
In BF3 (ULTRA Settings), without VIRTU, running by GPU-Default, I get about 85+ FPS

In SC2 (Low-Medium Settings), with Virtu, running by IGP-Default, I get about 150+FPS
In BF3 (ULTRA Settings), with Virtu, running by IGP-Default, I get about 60-80 FPS

In SC2 (Low-Medium Settings), with Virtu MVP, running GPU-Default, I get about 180-200 FPS
In BF3 (ULTRA Settings), with Virtu MVP, running GPU-Default, I get about 85+FPS

I could go on with test result forever, but the results aren't that bad, don't you think? You guys, get it at this point.
Sometimes it does hiccup a little, but if you have VIRTU MVP's Hyper Performance enabled, with Virtual VSYNC Disabled, it really doesn't get to be a problem with a GTX 670.

Note: I am using an NVIDIA-based GPU, the GTX 670. As BF3 leans more towards the green-team support, this test may have may not bring similar results from those running products from the red-team. NVIDIA V-SYNC remains unchanged or unaffected for the most part, as it operates normally. I still have to test with the card on overclock...

5) TEST RESULTS 2: I have also been checking temperature, using CoreTemp, Asus AI Suite II, GPUz/CPUz.
Temperatures do seem lower, overall, when I am using VIRTU through IGP-Default. As the GPU shuts off, there is definitely less noise most of the time, and I still enjoy the benefits of using a lower-energy-consuming HD4000. However, since the IGP is forced to be run optimally nearly 24/7, temperatures are about 5-10 degrees Celsius higher than normal. BUT I have the H100, so it shouldn't get any hotter than that (55 degrees MAX, average 45ish).

I should say though, that my own i5-2500k was slower at the same clock speed of 4.4GHz, but it definitely ran colder at 25-30 degrees.

Motherboard temperature remains unchanged for the most part, at about average 35 degrees Celsius at most points.
GPU temperature also remains unchanged.

I'll get back to this post if I find any other results concerning the uses of LUCID VIRTU / VIRTU MVP.

m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 7:58:15 PM

I don't have Virtu MVP (Virtu MVP is the more expensive option to enhance the dedicated graphics card), but everything I read said the same thing:

Virtu MVP has a lot of promise but at this point the CONS outweight the PROS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Virtu MVP has to be enabled in the BIOS. Well let's say HALF my games run better with Virtu MVP on and HALF my games run better with it off (i.e. the dedicated NVidia drivers).

Now you have to boot out of Window to your BIOS, then change VSYNC ON or OFF depending on what's the best solution for the game you are going to play.

Add that to the fact that NVidia might make a few tweaks so that most games run better with the default NVidia drivers (Virtu MVP OFF).

*What they SHOULD have done (if I have this correct) is simply give you the ability to toggle the Virtu MVP feature On or Off based off on-the-fly in Windows. So run NVidia drivers normally, but instruct a game in some Virtu monitoring software to switch from NVidia to Virtu MVP (basically like NVidia's Optimus tech that turns laptop GPU's on and off when not needed.)
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 7:59:48 PM

So as NOT to confuse people, Virtu MVP can be turned OFF completely. Don't even factor it into your buying decision. If you have time to mess around with it, sure turn it on, but otherwise turn it off.
m
l
!