Your question

Graphics card for my ancient system?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Linux
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 26, 2012 8:50:49 PM

I have acquired an old HP DC7700 from my work. I've stuck a copy of linux on it and a WD Caviar Green 500GB hard drive. Luckily, Linux recognizes my wifi USB stick, so I am looking for new ways to enhance my machine.

The only candidate seems to be to replace the Nvidia Quaddro NVS 280 graphics card with something a little more fun. I doubt the motherboard recognizes PCIe 2.1 cards, and I am on a really tight budget, so I think the best option would be a Nvidia GT 430. The 440 draws a lot more power without giving that much more performance and costs twice as much. Also, the CPU is a 1.8 GHz pentium dual core so I suppose even a modest GPU would quickly outpace the CPU.

From other forums I have determined that my version of linux has fairly mature drivers for the 430.

I'm not looking to play the latest games - older ones like CS Source, Doom III, Left 4 Dead and so on (in Linux Wine).

More about : graphics card ancient system

a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2012 8:57:43 PM

A 430 would be great for those games, assuming you can get it all to work. Should max them no problem.
April 28, 2012 2:10:14 PM

After doing some more research it seems that the 430 can overclock up to the level of a GT240...

Some 430s have GDDR3 memory and others have DDR3 memory - is there an actual difference between these memory types?