Sign in with
Your question

RAM Stick, 2 or 4?

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 10:20:01 AM

Hi, i was looking at getting a new gaming rig built and have come up against something im not sure of.

I can have 16gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz in either 2 x 8gb stick or 4 x 4gb sticks. Which is better, or is there really any difference at all?

Thanks.

More about : ram stick

a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2012 11:37:52 AM

Dual sticks, so you can use the dual channel feature on most motherboards and more upgrade options later as it leaves some slots empty (though why you would need more than 16GB is beyond me).
June 21, 2012 11:55:28 AM

manofchalk said:
Dual sticks, so you can use the dual channel feature on most motherboards and more upgrade options later as it leaves some slots empty (though why you would need more than 16GB is beyond me).

Try running a load of virtual machines on 16GB of memory, you do run out when you try (I moved to 32GB for this reason)
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2012 12:11:29 PM

mindless728 said:
Try running a load of virtual machines on 16GB of memory, you do run out when you try (I moved to 32GB for this reason)

OP said he's making a gaming rig, so even 16GB is overkill.
June 21, 2012 1:00:54 PM

manofchalk said:

But overkill is always good.

Using the dual channel feature is there really any significant increase in performance over using 4 sticks?

It sounds like a good idea to get the 2 x 8gb sticks then i can put another 16gb in there if i wanted to.
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2012 1:07:39 PM

For a gaming rig, you will never need more than 8GB, not anytime soon anyway. But get 16GB if your heart is set on it. 32GB is just utterly ridiculous, even purpose editing rigs don't peak at using that much. Business Server PC's or heavy Program Development PC's (Like I assume Mindless' is) which needs to run a ton of stuff all at once may need that much (Though I think for large business servers, they use blades of 1TB of RAM)

You might as well use the Dual Channel, I cant tell you how much better it performs, but I know it does. If you were to disable dual channel and compare 2 vs 4 sticks of the same specs and total capacity, there would be no difference (except maybe in energy consumption).
June 21, 2012 2:47:52 PM

If im never going to need more than 16gb i'll just get the 4 x 4gb sticks, its easier to replace one of them if one of them manages to pack in for whatever reason. It looks better filling up the motherboard too :D  im getting the one below

http://uk.asus.com/websites/global/products/wUVREuJSCNu...

(Asus P8Z77-V LX)

But im wondering whether to spend £70 more and get this:

http://pantiptoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ASUS-...

(Asus Maximus V Gene)

The Asus Maximus V Gene does look a whole lot sexier, but im still trying to find a good performance comparison between them.
June 21, 2012 3:13:36 PM

I just had a idea. Take a look at the picture in the link below, the setup on the bottom is what i was going to get but i changed the i7 3770k to the new i5 3570k after reading that the i7 offers hardly any difference in gaming for the extra £100.

You can see that i've managed to get the asus maximus motherboard on there and let it still come out £20 cheaper. The priority turn around costs £45 on the quotes i have there. The HDDs will be set to raid 0 but i need to specifically ask for that to be done, its a bit wiered it doesnt give me an option for that.

Thanks for the help guys.
June 21, 2012 3:17:37 PM

I agree with the fact 8 gb is more than enough. I have an AMD Athlon quad and a board that takes ddr2. I used to have 4 gb installed, but ended up getting a couple of 1gb sticks for free that were the same speed as my old sticks, so I'm running 6gb right now with my quad core, and even when playing Crysis 2, I still have at least like 2 gb free on Windows 7 64 bit. So for gaming, wouldn't worry about more than 8 right now.
June 21, 2012 3:36:56 PM

manofchalk said:

and my desktop I use for this is a gaming rig as well, I also use it as a workstation as a secondary ability and need the 32GB of ram
June 22, 2012 5:06:15 PM

For multiple VM's, I can see that much ram being used. But for just a gaming rig, 8 is plenty.
June 26, 2012 7:24:57 AM

Alright, cheers guys, how do i select best answer and lock the thread now?
a b 4 Gaming
June 26, 2012 7:28:12 AM

Should be a button on each reply to pick for best answer. The thread doesn't technically lock down but people generally let resolved threads die.
!