Sign in with
Your question

Power problems new build

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2012 6:05:44 PM

well this is my first post and to be honest I think I already know the answer im going to get.
I built my self a new system specs are
asus M5A78L-M-USB3
AMD Bulldozer FX-6200 6 Core 3.80GHz Processor FD6200WMGUSBX
4gb DDR3 1333MHZ RAM
segate 200gb system drive
seagate 1tb slave drive
windows 7 ultimate
450 watt psu

right ive had the sytem up and running for a few weeks with a few unexpected shutdowns when Ive went to boot it back up i've had the occasional time where its refused to boot up lightson fans spin but no display.

today it shut down again now it refuses to boot up when everything is connected again lights on no one home nothing on the display. if I disconnect the hard drives from the power it will boot up and go into bios.

If the sata cables are unplugged and theres power on any hard drives it wont boot up.
I unplugged the dvd drive ( sata ) and used the power plug from this into one of the harddrives again lights come on fans spin but no display

so at the moment im thinking my power supply isint playing game would this be anyone elses thoughts?
I have tried a known good harddrive again just power plugged in and it wont display
whats confusing me is I can leave power to the dvd drive and it will boot to bios but if I power a hard drive even with no sata cable plugged into the motherboard it wont boot.
does the harddrive take more power?
anyone else had the same problem?
am I correct in thinking the power supply isn't putting out enough juice?

cheers
James

More about : power problems build

a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 6:36:06 PM

use a different PSU like a 550 or 600
October 25, 2012 6:41:22 PM

Emerald said:
use a different PSU like a 550 or 600

was thinking on going for a larger psu with future upgrades in mind.
would you agree that with my symptoms its the psu at fault?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 6:45:26 PM

yep that was my first guess when I read you post
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 6:54:06 PM

it not the power supply itself that bad. it that the 12v line on that power supply is over loaded. the 12v line powers not only the drives but the cpu and video cards. when doing a build use the free wattage/power supply guilds online. if the guild calls out for a 500w unit buy a 600w unit so you give the power supply some head room as it ages.
October 25, 2012 7:04:35 PM

ive been looking at a corsair hx620w would that be up to the job?
a c 299 ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 10:06:20 PM

jbh said:
ive been looking at a corsair hx620w would that be up to the job?

more than enough - good choice

Tom

I think your orig problem was more a "bad psu" than not enough watts. But the Corsair will give you more

amps on the 12v rail as smorizio pointed out might have been the problem
October 27, 2012 9:14:00 PM

toyftw said:
more than enough - good choice

Tom

I think your orig problem was more a "bad psu" than not enough watts. But the Corsair will give you more

amps on the 12v rail as smorizio pointed out might have been the problem

yip it must be a bad 12v rail I tried the psu in an old Compaq tower I had up the loft and got the same issue

Ive robbed the 550watt psu out the Compaq tower until my corsair arrives so that's me back up and running :bounce: 
a c 299 ) Power supply
October 27, 2012 11:54:50 PM

jbh said:
yip it must be a bad 12v rail I tried the psu in an old Compaq tower I had up the loft and got the same issue

Ive robbed the 550watt psu out the Compaq tower until my corsair arrives so that's me back up and running :bounce: 

Glad you zereo'd in on it, and made sure it was a bad psu.

Tom
October 28, 2012 9:42:07 AM

toyftw said:
Glad you zereo'd in on it, and made sure it was a bad psu.

Tom

cheers Tom

I had completely forgot I had the old Compaq tower up the loft.
I was sent up the loft by the wife to get stuff down and spotted it lurking behind a box

James
!