Sign in with
Your question
Closed

90W laptop adaptor OR Seasonic Bronze PSU for HTPC?

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2012 6:33:19 PM

0 down vote favorite

I'm planning to build a low-power, value HTPC. I'm really undecided if I should go for an 80PLUS Bronze Seasonic PSU OR a laptop adapter from Cooler Master (Energy Star certified).

SETUP 1. I go for the laptop adapter. I'd have to choose a special Intel mini-itx mobo (DH61AG) which is pretty expensive. Mini-itx mobo + laptop adapter = very low power. Pico-PSUs are not available here in India.

SETUP 2. I go for Seasonic Bronze PSU. I get to choose a cheaper mini-itx mobo. Mini-itx mobo + Seasonic PSU = low power but a bit more than the above setup, far less expensive

I will be pairing the mobo with Sandybridge Pentium G620.

The big question is - is SETUP 1 really going to save me a SIGNIFICANT amount of power (in terms of watts) over SETUP 2? I mean...is it worth the higher cost? Or is it just a matter of 5-6 watts give or take?

I'm not too concerned about noise etc. Cost and low power are priority.

For a quick reference, see the power measurements here
http://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62702

Is there any place on the Web where they've compared a laptop PSU with an ATX one using the same components?

Thanks for the help....

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2012 8:23:21 PM

if you plan to use the same components (exept the mobo/psu of course) then they should use the same amount of power (within reason)
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 29, 2012 12:16:00 AM

what wattage is the seasonic PSU your looking at?
Score
November 3, 2012 5:07:25 PM

Seasonic 430W Bronze.....anything lower isn't available...
Score
November 10, 2012 5:13:23 AM

Best answer selected by melvyn.
Score
!