Sign in with
Your question

What you think of this gaming rig?

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 2:57:02 PM

Hey guys :hello:  , gonna keep this simple and short. I am putting together this new gaming rig, and have these components, and just want to know what you think. Just to mention, I will be using the 24' Dell monitor i currently have.

CPU: i5 3570K

HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB (Chose this over the 7950 and the 7970, you think its a good choice)

MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 ( which is better the one i chose or Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 or G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3)

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R Black Mid-Tower Case

Thanks for reading :bounce:  , and just let me know what you think of the entire build as a whole, if there is any compatibility problems. And especially which of the RAMs is better, and how the GPU compares to the other two mentioned.

More about : gaming rig

June 21, 2012 3:02:22 PM

you going to OC it? I seems nice choice. With air cooling can go up to 5Ghz though i think itll be around 80oC temp. 4.5 easy.
MB: Asus V Pro...not sure if u need that much. You could run just the same on LK or LX and save about $50+
RAM: 1600 nominal..not gonna go for RAM OC?
PSU: 850Wt may be overkill. 600 should be enough.
June 21, 2012 3:03:11 PM

Looks okay, a couple of things that need to be addressed:

The PSU is overkill, even if you want to add a second 670 in the future, it simply isn't necessary. 750 watts if you want SLI, 550 if you don't.

7970>670>7950 as a general rule of thumb, so if you can get the 7970 at the same price as the 670 I would actually go with that, but otherwise, 670 all the way. You may want to consider other brands, I prefer EVGA and ASUS for Nvidia Cards.

You may want to check to see if you will use all the features of the mobo, as the ASRock Extreme 4/6 are cheaper and are pretty much the same feature-wise, other than a couple of (imo) unimportant things.

Related resources
June 22, 2012 1:22:05 PM

Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

The LK or LX don't support SLi to well, if i decide to add another card later, so thats out for me.

Im happy with an 850W PSU, i mean its like $20 more than a 750W and i don't want to cheap out on the PSU. I might add another card later, and i would feel more comfortable with 850W, and I could possibly move into into a future build in the future.

The 7970 is about $30 more, and the ONLY true thing that made me consider it is the 3GB Vram. Performance wise it isn't significantly great than the GTX 670, which i think has better features, drivers and isn't too bad, my only concern with it being the 2GB Vram, but hopefully it shouldn't be a problem for 2-3 years which is how long I am going to have the System for.
Also I was afraid of getting coil whine with the 7970, and also I would rather go with the 7950 and overclock it, and it would give me 7970-like performance for much less ~$80.

With regard to the motherboard, this is my first build so i want to get quality parts for the first time, and everyone knows that Asus are top quality with boards. And also the extra power phases would help with overclocking.

Please others contribute, as i would love to hear what you have to say, and correct me if I am wrong with any of the information I have presented.
June 23, 2012 1:41:58 AM

Thats all looking good to me. You can't argue Asus do make very nice mobos... possibly a little over priced when you compare against similarly specced AsRock or Gigabyte, but you're paying for the name, reputation, customer service etc. Possibly my only suggestion there would be to check the 'V' model against the 'V-PRO'. You might find everything your looking for in the 'V' and save a few bucks.

The 750W model of that PSU will comfortably hold SLI gtx 670s on an OCed IB platform... again its your money.

I like the gtx 670 for a GPU. I don't really see additional VRAM giving that much benefit unless your gaming across multiple screens. And the 670 is great performance per dollar.

G.Skill and Corsair both make great quality high performance RAM. I have been getting G.Skill only because it's a couple of bucks cheaper where I live. Very similar really. If you go with the Corsair Vengeance, just be sure to get the 'low profile' version.

Just checking a few parts you haven't listed. Do you need an SSD, HDD, Optical?
June 23, 2012 2:33:39 AM

Formata said:
Thats all looking good to me. You can't argue Asus do make very nice mobos... possibly a little over priced when you compare against similarly specced AsRock or Gigabyte, but you're paying for the name, reputation, customer service etc. Possibly my only suggestion there would be to check the 'V' model against the 'V-PRO'. You might find everything your looking for in the 'V' and save a few bucks.

The 750W model of that PSU will comfortably hold SLI gtx 670s on an OCed IB platform... again its your money.

I like the gtx 670 for a GPU. I don't really see additional VRAM giving that much benefit unless your gaming across multiple screens. And the 670 is great performance per dollar.

G.Skill and Corsair both make great quality high performance RAM. I have been getting G.Skill only because it's a couple of bucks cheaper where I live. Very similar really. If you go with the Corsair Vengeance, just be sure to get the 'low profile' version.

Just checking a few parts you haven't listed. Do you need an SSD, HDD, Optical?

Thanks Formata for the comments.
The ONLY true main reason im getting the V-pro over the "V" is because the V-pro has Industry leading Digital 16 Phase Power Design (12 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU)
while the 'V' only has Industry leading Digital 12 Phase Power Design (8 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU). So it has an extra 4 phases for the CPU (for $14 more), which i think would provide better overclocking and stability overall, am i not correct with regard to that?

With regard to the PSU, i just feel more comfortable with the 850W (for $20 more), i think its worthwhile investing into as later on, like 3 years time, i could possibly move it into my next build. I would rather pay higher now for one PSU that i could possibly reuse later, than pay cheaper for one now, and in the future build have to buy a new one, which will cost more overall. However thanks for pointing out that 750W is enough to run Sli 670s.

Yeah i'll just go with the G.skill as it is cheaper, but which should i go for the 1600MHz or 1866Mhz (for $10 more).

Yeah the GPU is probably the hardest part for me to select, as I will have the PC for about 3 years and want it to run games well on my single Dell 24' monitor at 1920X1200, and don't want to be limited by the 2GB Vram, as like i said i think it has better features and drivers overall and is (~$40) cheaper than the HD7970.

Will get a SSD later on down the line, and will be moving my current HD into the new PC.

!