Sign in with
Your question

Is this PSU defective?

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2012 9:46:51 PM

The PSU is Corsair GS800.

The testing results were,

in an external test build (cpu, two 4gb ram sticks, video card, after market cpu cooler), the motherboard splash screen wouldn't show, the psu cooler fan seemed to work fine, but the psu fan would burst on and then shut off.

Removing the the ram and the video card would lead to both the cpu fan and the psu fan bursting on and off every 15 or so seconds.

And then finally with only 1 ram stick the cpu fan started working normally again, but the psu fan would burst on once and then stop for good.

The paper click test, like in most of the other tests, resulted in the psu fan bursting on and then shutting off for good.

So i (with the input of other much more experienced people) had come to the conclusion that the psu was defective. However, i was reading over the psu box again and noticed that one of the features was fanless operation at low loads.

"At low loads the GS800 operates without spinning up the fan. As temperatures and load increase, the fan slowly increases in relation to the PSU temperature."

And now i'm not so sure if that's the problem.

Thoughts?

More about : psu defective

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 9:56:02 PM

1. remove the video card and try the integrated gpu (hopefully you have one)

2.try the PSU on another system (maybe a friends, or an old one laying around)
m
l
October 25, 2012 10:27:48 PM

nna2 said:
1. remove the video card and try the integrated gpu (hopefully you have one)

2.try the PSU on another system (maybe a friends, or an old one laying around)

Option 2 isn't really possible (my first build, and i don't know anyone else who builds custom), and option 1, I have an i7 3770k so i should be able to do this. To clarify, i just plug monitor hdmi straight into the mobo hdmi input and power up?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 10:51:43 PM

yes

and it will work in any computer, even a pre built system
m
l
October 25, 2012 11:44:04 PM

Okay, so using the on board GPU worked. There was a splash screen and it went right into the bios, or something like that. Point is it worked.

So i guess the PSU isn't the problem?

I tried again with the the graphics card (a gigabyte 7970). Double, tripled, and quadruple checked it was in the right slot and properly seated, and no splash screen. I don't know why i never thought of this before or it never came up, but the 7970 fans NEVER worked in any configuration.

So i suppose, this means the graphics card is where the problem actually is?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 140 à CPUs
October 26, 2012 12:02:09 AM

jplseth said:
So i suppose, this means the graphics card is where the problem actually is?

Or the PSU is unable to provide sufficient stable power while the GPU is present.
m
l
October 26, 2012 12:08:41 AM

So the only way to be sure is to try the the PSU on some other system, i guess?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2012 12:48:50 AM

i would also agree that seeming more PSU related, i would RMA it unless someone you know has a gaming machine (with similar or higher specs)... in which case try it in their systemjavascript:%20validform(this);
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 140 à CPUs
October 26, 2012 12:48:51 AM

jplseth said:
So the only way to be sure is to try the the PSU on some other system, i guess?

Or try a different known-good PSU of sufficient wattage in your PC if you have one at hand.
m
l
!