Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wondering if i can upgrade from my Phenom II to a FX 8350 with my ASUS M5A97 mot

Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2012 10:08:58 PM

So as the title says, i've been planing an upgrade for a while as my Phenom II is struggling in a lot of games and apps i use, So with the new piledriver not looking all that bad it seems like a decent upgrade, Currently my system is rocking a ASUS M5A97 and while it is compatible with bulldozer, I've never updated motherboard bios before and the supported CPU's on the webpage is not showing the 8350, So i don't know if flashing it for bulldozer will work for piledriver as well or if i'm going to need an entirely new board (in which case i'll say the hell with it and go intel)

Any help would be appreciated.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 10:31:04 PM

Since Bulldozer and Piledriver use the same AM3+ socket and there aren't any changes to how it works, they should technically be compatible. However, Asus hasn't released a new BIOS to support it yet, probably because it's only been out for a few days.
October 25, 2012 10:37:05 PM

Fair enough, So best bet would be to wait a couple of weeks before i do anything then?
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 11:08:53 PM

Arctic_fox9t9 said:
Fair enough, So best bet would be to wait a couple of weeks before i do anything then?

Correct.
m
l
October 26, 2012 3:56:05 AM

Arctic_fox9t9 said:
So as the title says, i've been planing an upgrade for a while as my Phenom II is struggling in a lot of games and apps i use, So with the new piledriver not looking all that bad it seems like a decent upgrade, Currently my system is rocking a ASUS M5A97 and while it is compatible with bulldozer, I've never updated motherboard bios before and the supported CPU's on the webpage is not showing the 8350, So i don't know if flashing it for bulldozer will work for piledriver as well or if i'm going to need an entirely new board (in which case i'll say the hell with it and go intel)

Any help would be appreciated.

Asrock released a bios update a few weeks ago for piledriver. I don't know how Asus does it but yeah you may have to wait a few weeks. I also think Asrock will release another bios flash as the OC tweaker software is now a little buggy with piledriver.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2012 4:55:10 AM

Already supported on some boards, mine is a M5A78L-M/USB3 and has had the support for a while, perhaps you'll need a board after all...
(Not on sale this side of the Pond yet, and it's been OC'd to 8.176 Ghz...impressive...on all 8 cores too...)
m
l
November 6, 2012 1:31:09 AM

Just checked on the asus webpage today and they updated the support list so yes my mobo will infact support piledriver so yay! be nice to have a decent upgrade, Still going to go with intel in my next build though unless steamroller somehow matches the I5 in gaming, But for now i have a good upgrade path.
m
l
November 6, 2012 1:32:34 AM

Best answer selected by Arctic_fox9t9.
m
l
!