Monitor Going to Sleep!

iunnoidk

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi, this is my first time in this website and I was told that this site was good for information about technology. Yesterday, I purchased a new Video Card and I unplugged all the wires connecting to my CPU and replaced my current video card with the new one. I googled about information on how to install a new video card into my CPU (this was before I installed the new video card). I then swapped my current video card with the newly purchased video card in my CPU and plugged every wires back to where it was. I pressed the power button on my CPU and I can hear everything running, but as I look up at my monitor, my monitor just says "VGA Signal - Nothing detected" (something like that) and same goes for the DVI. I swapped the video cards back to my old one and I googled information about why my monitor is going to sleep when I installed a new video card. It told me to first uninstall my current video card's driver so I did. I misread a sentence where it told me to disable the Onboard setting in my BIOs (I thought it told me to change my display setting to Onboard). I went into my BIOs and set the Display Adapter setting into Onboard and pressed Enter on "Exit while Saving Changes". I then swapped the video cards again and plugged everything back to where it was but I still had no luck. I then read the video card box's requirements and it said that I need a 400W or higher power supply. I assumed that my power supply was under 400W so then I swapped the newly bought video card with my old video card. And now when I open my CPU with my old video card, I get the same thing as what happened when I installed the new video card. I am assuming that it was the "Onboard" setting that made my monitor going to sleep and I need to know how to change it but I can't see a thing when I open my monitor. I need help. :(

iunnoidk

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Remove the video card out from the motherboard? Can I just unplug the cord connecting the video card and the monitor? I'm a bit scared to do this without further information because I don't want to mess something up in my CPU.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Glad to hear you're back up. The CMOS reset put everything back to factory default.
Most motherboards will default to onboard if no video card is installed and defaults to the video card when installed. You would not have damaged anything by removing the card.