BSOD while uninstalling catalyst 12.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello,
AMD has launched Catalyst 12.4.While uninstalling Catalyst 12.3,I got a BSOD which says that-

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 16393

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini042612-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 86DFB070
BCP2: 94380D68
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 78fe6390-0426-4e3d-908f-d6813837921f

I can't make head or tail of it.This is my third BSOD,the second happened while installing 12.3.I don't have the log now,but at the time of this BSOD,I also got this-

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 16393

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20120426-1107.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 86DFB070
BCP2: 94380D68
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

What is happening?Is it PSU(CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 460w and HD 6850) related?I know nothing about BSODs,only the fact that it is caused by Windows encountering a 'fatal' error.Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Regards,
absxiith.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
As I said before,this is my third BSOD.And all happened while installing and uninstalling AMD software only.All others,like windows update,vlc media player,freemake video converter etc install smoothly.Also, I sometimes got 'Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered' message while playing games with the "Fault Module(??)" name as atidxx32.dll or amdkmdap(don't remember it correctly) on 12.3. That's why,was asking if it is related to drivers/my GPU?

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I did.I went to control panel,clicked on AMD Catalyst Install Manager,clicked change and then clicked on 'Express Uninstall All ATI Software' (as instructed)and then,I got the BSOD.My PC restarted and I saw that AMD catalyst Install manager was still there in the control panel.So,I followed the same steps again but this time,it worked.What I want to know,it also happened while installing Catalyst 12.3,so will I face this problem again if I have to I uninstall 12.4(Just in case)?

If you uninstall the 12.4, you might or might not face the issue. Does any other program give a BSOD, when trying to uninstall?

And if ever will uninstall those drivers, use Driver Sweeper. This is just to check if it was the problem with the drivers uninstalling themselves, under the control panel.

MEMTEST
www.memtest.org

You're issue is probably hardware related.

I know you said it's working now, but take the time and run MEMTEST overnight to be sure. RAM errors cause a wide variety of problems that are often misdiagnosed.

RAM issues can be due to defective hardware or improper BIOS settings. Update your BIOS if it's not current.

If this is hardware related, the OP should be facing the issue every now and then. But the thing is, it isn't happening every now and then. Only during the installation process. One way to see if it is hardware related, is to go into safe mode. Hardware related means, the BSOD will occur in safe mode too. If it was only a software problem/issue/conflict, the BSOD will not occur in safe mode.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
No,no other program gives a BSOD while uninstalling.(Thank God for that :)) Ok,now where do I download Driver Sweeper from?I know its available on Phyxion.net but I read this thread-

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f127/driversweeper-tutorial-243060/

It says that-

LINK temporary removed pending investigation.

Update- until further notice we will only host v2.1 as Marcel decided to add annoying ad-ware installers inside the Driver-Sweeper setup, which we are strongly against / oppose to.

Also,I am being returned to the download page when I click on the link and I have NIS 2012.I dont want to disable it.Any other link?

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I don't want to say this but I got a BSOD while uninstalling 12.4 as well.I was just checking out how driver sweeper works and tried to uninstall 12.4.I got a BSOD when the 'display driver' was being uninstalled.However,when my PC rebooted after that in normal mode,I saw that display driver had been uninstalled and the uninstall of other components of the driver package continued normally.I don't have the logs now,but the BSOD was something related to-'timeout of the video hardware'.:(

galeener

Distinguished
Ive had issues with both 12.3 and 12.4. I think amd needs to get its *** straight on their driver issues.
I put 12.4 in yesterday and ccc quit being able to launch.
So i remove the drivers again and I used drive sweeper to make sure it was all gone. I do keep seeing that i can choose to remove atirsxx file even after cleaning everything out.
I have done the safe mode sweeps also.
Im not sure but i think there are still problems with ati's drivers.
Im not a fan boy i buy what gives me the most bang for the buck but if issues keep happening I will be looking at an nvidia card.

Status
Not open for further replies.