Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I be worried?

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2012 12:12:15 AM

Like a fool, I didn't do my research before buying a PSU. I didn't know much about them, how the single/multi rails worked, but I'm starting to learn about the voltages and the good brands to buy from.

I bought a Raidmax 850w PSU, at the time when I bought it; it has really good reviews on newegg and amazon. I also read somewhere that this model is better, but I'm having second thoughts now.

Here's the voltages link.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34q22dl&s=6

And the PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3570k, Hyper 212+
Asus p8z77-vpro
16gb 1600mhz
HD 6870 in Xfire
120gb Intel ssd
1TB HDD
Corsair 600T Silver
Raidmax 850w psu

More about : worried

a c 694 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 1:54:23 AM

Those voltages are wrong otherwise your computer would not be running. Raidmax is not the best but fortunately you could have gotten by with 600-650watt PSU so you are not stressing it.
I personally would get a quality replacement and keep the raidmax as a spare. (just in case you have to RMA the quality one one day, happens)
m
l
Related resources
a c 694 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 3:32:22 AM

That is a good replacement! Single large rail is considered better than multiple rails.
m
l
October 26, 2012 3:38:26 AM

Ok, just making sure I don't want to buy another bad quality part. Also, 750w is enough for 2 6870's in crossfire?
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 3:39:16 AM

Yes it is plenty.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 3:48:06 AM

That Raidmax unit is one of the few decent raidmax units out there. It can actually provide it's rated power and be decent in stability in build quality.

---- Just checked it up cause i remember something about these units earlier..

(from another forum)

Quote:
Raidmax took an Andyson K series unit, a high-end 80PLUS Gold design, called it the RX-850AE, and sent it to Ecos Consulting for the 80PLUS certification. Ecos tested it, and gave the RX-850AE the 80PLUS Gold certification. Raidmax said, "Thanks!", then took 10,000 Andyson E series units (mid-range 80PLUS standard design) and slapped RX-850AE stickers on it, claiming that their product was an 80PLUS Gold certified PSU. When in fact the design is physically incapable of achieving more than 80PLUS Bronze, and they didn't even spring the extra cash for the Bronze version.

So in short, this is a unit akin to Bronze units like the TX750V1 / Antec EA 750 etc. Not high quality but not the fireworks you would normally expect from raidmax units.

In short, you don't need a new power supply and that will run most crossfire/sli setups just fine. Do not expect it to be a gold unit or have the quality of a gold unit. Expect something in the $80-100 range quality wise with a bronze eff. rating and not a gold.

m
l
October 26, 2012 5:30:24 AM

Well what about the voltage issue, its at 6.3 when its supposed to be at 12.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 5:43:39 AM

Voltage Issue? If there is a voltage issue than your computer wouldn't even run as the PSU protections will come on when they detect it.
m
l
October 26, 2012 6:09:56 AM

I know its a possibility with any psu i just don't want to come home to a fried computer 2k $$. I'm paranoid if you can imagine, if 3 other people say get a new psu i think I will. Either the XFX listed above or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E98FVS/ref=ox_sc_a... this.

So if getting another "better quality" psu is worth it then I would definitely buy it.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 6:25:47 AM

That power supply is completely fine. Getting a XFX is of no use when the unit your replacing is nearly on the level of Corsair TX / Antec NeoEco- HCG / Seasonic S12II/M12II units aka good units.

Most people tell you to replace it because they hear RAIDMAX and think of psu's that blow up. In this case, there's nothing to be worried about for this is one of the few units that are decent under Raidmax's brand. This is the case where the saying goes "get Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, and Antec units OR other units with reputable reviews".

If you have it then it's good to go. If you're looking at it then there are better units for the price. Either way, you're wasting money to fix a non existent problem and you should never do that. Seriously. Save your money for something like the next generation HD8xxx or nvidia 7xx cards which will give you much more than a new power supply.
a c 110 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 6:26:01 AM

Well, it made the gold rating......
m
l
October 26, 2012 6:27:54 AM

Best answer selected by garrettk4.
m
l
!