New Build Compatibility Question

Lacera

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Are all of these part compatible with each other? I assume that they are since the site has a "only show compatible" option but just double checking! Any other advice/opinions are welcome.
I don't plan on overclocking and will be using this computer to play the sims 3 and a few MMORPGs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/azo9

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: OCZ Octane 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 6670 2GB Video Card ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Azza Solano 1000R ATX Full Tower Case ($87.88 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Apevia 500W ATX Power Supply ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $621.80
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Solution
Yes to both. MSI has an excellent reputation for video cards (mixed for mobos), and Antec has an excellent reputation for PSUs. That one isn't their best, but it has reviewed well. Those two would be good choices to go with your build.
I will say that if you anticipate playing FPS titles (e.g. Crysis, BF3, etc) you might want an even stronger graphics card (even if you have to weaken your CPU to make budget), but for what you listed, you should be happy. A graphics card is alway an easy upgrade later, if needed.

Edit: Yes, you could use your external drive. If it is USB 2.0 though, you may find it slow for backups. As hard drive prices seem to be creeping back down, perhaps you can find something reasonable for $60-$75 now that...

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Get a cheaper mid-tower case, no need for full tower with what you're going for unless you plan to use the case for many, many upgrades to come. You can get some great mid-tower cases for around $40-$50.

Also do not skimp on the psu, I'm a huge fan of Enermax although it doesn't get the props it deserves from most people, I honestly have no idea why.

NO!!!
Apevia makes PSU-shaped objects, NOTHING suitable for use to power a computer.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.
Diamond and Crappermaster have also earned places on my personal "Do not buy" list; the former for incompetence all around, and the latter for proven dishonesty.
The games you've listed are less demanding on the GPU than typical FPS titles (and more demanding on the CPU), but unless your resolution is fairly low (e.g. 1366x768), you will probably want a stronger GPU. I would suggest nothing weaker than a HD6770; and a HD7770, HD6850, or GTX560 would be better.
Check out Rosewill's midrange cases, although the second one would probably do also (as long as you like the aesthetics).

Edit: You may also wish to add a magnetic HDD to your build. Even if not for pictures, videos, or other data, you'll need something to back up your SSD.

Edit2: A 380W Antec Earthwatts or 400W Corsair CX would be suitable for your build, with a HD6670, HD7750, HD7770, or HD6850. For a HD6870, GTX560, or stronger graphics card, you'd want a 500W version for extra headroom and longevity.

Yes to both. MSI has an excellent reputation for video cards (mixed for mobos), and Antec has an excellent reputation for PSUs. That one isn't their best, but it has reviewed well. Those two would be good choices to go with your build.
I will say that if you anticipate playing FPS titles (e.g. Crysis, BF3, etc) you might want an even stronger graphics card (even if you have to weaken your CPU to make budget), but for what you listed, you should be happy. A graphics card is alway an easy upgrade later, if needed.

Edit: Yes, you could use your external drive. If it is USB 2.0 though, you may find it slow for backups. As hard drive prices seem to be creeping back down, perhaps you can find something reasonable for $60-$75 now that you could use as an internal drive. You need not even install it until you've loaded Windows onto your SSD.

Solution

Lacera

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Thank you for answering everything for me. (and so swiftly!) I'm terrible at FPS so I expect to never play any haha. :D

Once again thanks!

TRENDING THREADS