Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard question

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2012 1:31:09 AM

Hi my motherboard is completely dead so i have got a new mobo and processor can i simply install them to the case and connect everything and it will work without having to wipe the HDD becuase the HDD still has the old drivers from the old mobo?
Thanks

More about : motherboard question

a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 1:41:59 AM

I don't quite understand your question. If you purchased the exact same motherboard, the chances are, it will work. If you purchased a different motherboard, however, you may get some kind of boot-loop error and you won't be able to access Windows.
October 26, 2012 1:43:58 AM

will it not work then becuase its a different motherboard! do i need to wipe the HDD?
Related resources
October 26, 2012 1:48:18 AM

mocchan said:
I don't quite understand your question. If you purchased the exact same motherboard, the chances are, it will work. If you purchased a different motherboard, however, you may get some kind of boot-loop error and you won't be able to access Windows.

will it not work then becuase its a different motherboard! do i need to wipe the HDD?
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 2:17:11 AM

Try it and see. The rule of thumb used to be, if it shared the same hard drive controller you should be fine, these days Windows is a bit more resiliant.

I upgraded one of my system a few months ago, the only parts not to be upgraded were the case, the psu , the optical drive and the Windows installation. The windows installation was simply transferred to the new SSD, booted up and it done the rest. Oh, yeah, I did have to reactivate it, which was a dawdle.
October 26, 2012 4:21:11 AM

It should work. I had to do something similar myself and all I had to do was call Microsoft to reactivate Windows. No big deal.
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 5:13:41 AM

Ideally you would clean install on to a formatted partition as most attmpts to run a board from an old installation causes conflicts. You might get away with it, but there are other options. Personally I'd be tempted to create another partition on the Hard drive and clean install Windows to that, then remove the old installation after, thus preserving any data like music/pictures.
!