Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need GPU Advice for Gaming System Around $1k (First Time)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2012 10:04:06 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around June 1st

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (mainly Diablo 3), and some engineering school work

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: planning on Seasonic M12II 620 bronze - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: plannong on... Z77 - $140

with the new Ivy Bridge i5- 3570K possibly overclocked

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com? not really sure

PARTS PREFERENCES: heard NVIDA is better for blizzard games, but am pretty open

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: was thinking for the Corsair Carbide Series 500R -$140
with
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

I basically want to be able to play games (such as D3) for the next 2-4 years on max setting with 60+fps smoothly.

I was thinking of the
HD 7850 - $260

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II

but am open to other as well.

Thanks,
Alex

April 27, 2012 11:29:20 AM

I basically want to be able to play games (such as D3) for the next 2-4 years on max setting with 60+fps smoothly.

That's gonna be a problem. To do that, you probably need SLI 680s / CF 7970s or better. And it's hard to say how long even that will be able to max everything with 60fps - my guess is 2 but definitely not 4 years. There are already games that are not maxable 1080p on a single card (most glaring example is probably The Witcher 2 with ubersampling).

All that said, right now I agree with your decision about the 7850 - it's the best $250 card right now and will play everything for a few years on high settings (basically max but in some titles without all the AA options). If you don't care about maxing AA, a graphics card will last way longer than if you demand the best anti-aliasing options to always be turned on in the most demanding titles.

However, since your purchase date is June 1st, I would wait and see if the midrange 6xx cards get released before then. Depending on when they are released, how they perform, and what they are priced, I could see something like a 660(ti?) being a better purchase than the 7850.

So, tentatively, get the 7850, but keep your eyes peeled for a midrange Kepler release that might be a better purchase around the $250 mark.
Score
Related resources
April 27, 2012 11:37:37 AM

BigMack70 said:

That's gonna be a problem. To do that, you probably need SLI 680s / CF 7970s or better. And it's hard to say how long even that will be able to max everything with 60fps - my guess is 2 but definitely not 4 years. There are already games that are not maxable 1080p on a single card (most glaring example is probably The Witcher 2 with ubersampling).

All that said, right now I agree with your decision about the 7850 - it's the best $250 card right now and will play everything for a few years on high settings (basically max but in some titles without all the AA options). If you don't care about maxing AA, a graphics card will last way longer than if you demand the best anti-aliasing options to always be turned on in the most demanding titles.

However, since your purchase date is June 1st, I would wait and see if the midrange 6xx cards get released before then. Depending on when they are released, how they perform, and what they are priced, I could see something like a 660(ti?) being a better purchase than the 7850.

So, tentatively, get the 7850, but keep your eyes peeled for a midrange Kepler release that might be a better purchase around the $250 mark.

Awesome thanks for advice. I am hopping to see the 660 come out before June. But not sure with my chances on that. Do you think for Diablo 3 specifically the 7850 would be enough to get the 60fps?
Score
April 27, 2012 11:49:03 AM

Well considering it only took about 25% usage on my 7970 to get constant 60fps in D3, I would say yes, a 7850 will easily get you 60fps average and most likely 60fps constant in D3.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 11:50:01 AM

I was getting 30 fps on high settings in D3 beta weekend on my NES mini PC build with an E-350 and 430 GT low profile card. So im sure that will handle D3 at max settings at that framerate.
Score
April 27, 2012 11:53:34 AM

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll be getting the 7850 then in June, unless the 660 comes out, then i'll have to see which would be better. =)
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 12:14:27 PM

I'll keep you posted for release dates refering to kepler. We should be seeing more cards next month. But these gentlemen are right, Its nearly impossible to build the latest and greatest machine and expect it to keep up for 4 years 60fps. Which brings up a suggestion, Build a system that you can add on to and upgrade. Building a Ivy bridge build with a top of the line I7 ivy bridge. Then upgrade the graphics card's every 2 years, then when your system is on its last leg, use the next latest socket. And rinse-repeat!. It doesn't work for everyone, but could work for you.
April 27, 2012 12:56:41 PM

Rockdpm said:
I'll keep you posted for release dates refering to kepler. We should be seeing more cards next month. But these gentlemen are right, Its nearly impossible to build the latest and greatest machine and expect it to keep up for 4 years 60fps. Which brings up a suggestion, Build a system that you can add on to and upgrade. Building a Ivy bridge build with a top of the line I7 ivy bridge. Then upgrade the graphics card's every 2 years, then when your system is on its last leg, use the next latest socket. And rinse-repeat!. It doesn't work for everyone, but could work for you.

Thanks for keeping me posted. Really hoping them come out within a month.

And thats a good idea with the upgrading. I'll have to look into that a little more. Cause the Ivy Bridge should be out within a week, so will definitely grab one for computer with plenty of time.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 1:10:09 PM

Sounds good!
Score
April 28, 2012 4:56:35 AM

Best answer selected by Hopz.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
April 28, 2012 8:56:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey