6230 - 4 Questions from an uninitiated...

Last response: in Brands
Share
June 27, 2004 7:46:53 PM

I had a few questions about the 6230, I was hoping the collective wisdom of
this group could shed light upon...

1) Backup - Is there a way to download on my PC a backup of the phone with a
single operation, e.g. keying in some code onto the phone. I know there are
a number of applications that allow downloading of messages, e-mails, etc,
but I was curious as to whether there's one simple thing that does it all,
say once a month, via bluetooth/IR to a pc. I'd seen something somewhere
about warranty codes for other phones, which sounded like they might do this
function.

2) Firmware Upgrade - If I upgrade the firmware, would that wipe clean my
phone (i.e. all the contents). I'm assuming this would, hence question 1!

3) Does anyone know of a Nokia repair centre in London that upgrades
firmware -- preferably while you wait. I went in to Carphone Warehouse's
repair centre and asked if they could (was there for something else, but
thought I'd ask them to do this while they were at it) but they referred me
to Nokia. I understand it's not possible for users to do this themselves.

4) Bluetooth - When I transfer files to the phone (via a Linksys DBT-120),
I'm surprised at how long its taking. A 2 - 3 mb file takes around 5
minutes. Is this typical? I'd have thought it should be much faster (hey,
i'm used to transfering files via broadband) but have nothing to compare
against.

Cheers,

Gus
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 7:53:18 PM

You can back up the entire contents of your phone to the pc using
nokia pc suite. I think its on the cd that came with the phone
although i downloaded it from nokia.co.uk. Just select bluetooth as
the connection method, and make sure you turn bluetooth on and pair
the pc with the phone. Not sure how to do this as i use infra red to
link to pc.

kerry
June 27, 2004 10:16:29 PM

> You can back up the entire contents of your phone to the pc using
> nokia pc suite.

Kerry - I've got PC Suite, and have used it in the past. Should
have mentioned last couple tries at using this, it jammed as the
progress bar got about two fifths of the way through, prompting
me to see if there's some other, easier way to do this.

That said, have just uninstalled/reinstalled it and tried again. For
some reason it won't allowing me to select everything to save
(e.g. it used to allow saving of "User Files" which includes
graphics and other files). Now it doesn't, so still looking for
something that will be 1) easy (i.e. a single step) and 2)
comprehensive, to ensure everything's backed up.

Thanks though,

Gus
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:16:30 PM

"Gus" <DamnSpam@nodamnspam.com> wrote in message
>> You can back up the entire contents of your phone to the pc using
>> nokia pc suite.
>
> Kerry - I've got PC Suite, and have used it in the past. Should
> have mentioned last couple tries at using this, it jammed as the
> progress bar got about two fifths of the way through, prompting
> me to see if there's some other, easier way to do this.
>
> That said, have just uninstalled/reinstalled it and tried again. For
> some reason it won't allowing me to select everything to save
> (e.g. it used to allow saving of "User Files" which includes
> graphics and other files). Now it doesn't, so still looking for
> something that will be 1) easy (i.e. a single step) and 2)
> comprehensive, to ensure everything's backed up.

Maybe worth giving my software a go :-) MobiMB does your files and
Mobius/PX does the phonebook. If you have reliability problems with those
as well, then it probably points towards a connection problem of some kind
(in which case drop our support centre a line).

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk

I've heard your software can make the 6230 inoperable?
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 1:11:01 AM

Hi Gus

I didnt mention but i had that problem using bluetooth a while ago
using a 6310 and pc suite.

When i found out what the problem was i was amazed - bilieve it or not
it was my audigy 2 soundcard. as soon as i took souncard out and
reverted to onboard sound, all was fine. I was using a msi bluetooth
dongle.
June 28, 2004 12:59:00 PM

> When i found out what the problem was i was amazed - bilieve it or not
> it was my audigy 2 soundcard.

Kerry,
Bizarre. Just disabled the soundcard on my machine - and the User Files now
appear on the list of files for backup.
Thanks for the tip. Never would have found it otherwise.
Gus
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 1:11:06 PM

Hi gus,

glad i could help. Im fairly certain that the problem was the firewire
port on the audigy card as it showed as a network connection in the
network properties, as did the bluetooth adaptor.

as you said it was quite strange, neither creative or msi had any idea
why this happened.

kerry
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 1:52:49 PM

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've heard your software can make the 6230 inoperable?

Who on earth said that??? I've never heard any such thing, and nobody has
reported anything like this to our tech support.

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:05:29 PM

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've heard your software can make the 6230 inoperable?

Who on earth said that??? I've never heard any such thing, and nobody has
reported anything like this to our tech support.

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 9:16:21 PM

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I've heard your software can make the 6230 inoperable?

that was with pirated version of Oxygen, mate :)
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 9:17:13 PM

"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| Hi gus,
|
| glad i could help. Im fairly certain that the problem was the firewire
| port on the audigy card as it showed as a network connection in the
| network properties, as did the bluetooth adaptor.
|
| as you said it was quite strange, neither creative or msi had any idea
| why this happened.
|
| kerry

Maybe PC Suite was trying to use the 1394 adapter instead of the BT one
(nokia can be weird..) haha..
!