Kodak Z740 (Easy Share software or Microsoft Picture it?)

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 31, 2005 1:58:09 AM

I currently have a Kodak Z740 camera that came with a printer dock. We just
moved it completely off our desk to the other side of the room. It will no
longer be directly connected to the computer. I still have all the Kodak
softare on the computer and the printer dock is still in the printer list.

Here's the question. I don't really like the Kodak software because it's a
resource hog. I have it disabled from running at startup. Whenever you run
it, I don't like the fact that it stays running even after you close it. I
have Microsoft Picture it 10 on my computer. I'm wondering which one is
better? I will connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable when I
need to transfer pictures but I'd really rather not use the Kodak software.
I have a Dell Photo printer that has a memory card manger and I have
Webshots which can be run the same way. Will it cause any problems if I
uninstall the Kodak software and just use my other options?
Lisa
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 1:58:10 AM

Lisa wrote:
> I currently have a Kodak Z740 camera that came with a printer dock. We just
> moved it completely off our desk to the other side of the room. It will no
> longer be directly connected to the computer. I still have all the Kodak
> softare on the computer and the printer dock is still in the printer list.
>
> Here's the question. I don't really like the Kodak software because it's a
> resource hog. I have it disabled from running at startup. Whenever you run
> it, I don't like the fact that it stays running even after you close it. I
> have Microsoft Picture it 10 on my computer. I'm wondering which one is
> better? I will connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable when I
> need to transfer pictures but I'd really rather not use the Kodak software.
> I have a Dell Photo printer that has a memory card manger and I have
> Webshots which can be run the same way. Will it cause any problems if I
> uninstall the Kodak software and just use my other options?
> Lisa

Nope, no problem at all. MS Picture It is much better as a photo editor.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

> Nope, no problem at all. MS Picture It is much better as a photo editor.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case.
Lisa
August 2, 2005 8:20:16 PM

Hi Lisa,

Since you moved the Printer Dock away from the computer, you should still be
able to use it via a card reader or by plugging the Z740 directly into the
Printer Dock as it is pictbridge compatible.

Also, EasyShare Software should not take up much of your system memory. On
my system a 1.8 ghz machine running Win XP2 the resource indicator shows
that it takes up about 24k while at rest in the systray, and about 35k while
on my desktop. Possibly your concern is with it taking a long time to boot
up the first time after installing the EasyShare program. It does take some
time initially as it is associating itself with your images and storing this
data. After the initial install, however, it should not take up much in the
way of your resources. In the scheme of things for many computers, that
amount of memory use it is not much.

You can check your system them by reviewing the options in your Windows OS
features.

Anyway, if you had a choice of EasyShare or MS Picture It, I would say that
Picture It would win. It costs more than EasyShare and should win. But,
EasyShare is still a good program and it does offer some pretty cool
features you might be missing, i.e. the address book, favorites, and more.

If you think I might be able to help you with it, let me know, I am glad to
help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Lisa" <lisabeauregard@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a Kodak Z740 camera that came with a printer dock. We
just
> moved it completely off our desk to the other side of the room. It will
no
> longer be directly connected to the computer. I still have all the Kodak
> softare on the computer and the printer dock is still in the printer list.
>
> Here's the question. I don't really like the Kodak software because it's
> resource hog. I have it disabled from running at startup. Whenever you
run
> it, I don't like the fact that it stays running even after you close it.
> have Microsoft Picture it 10 on my computer. I'm wondering which one is
> better? I will connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable when
> need to transfer pictures but I'd really rather not use the Kodak
software.
> I have a Dell Photo printer that has a memory card manger and I have
> Webshots which can be run the same way. Will it cause any problems if I
> uninstall the Kodak software and just use my other options?
> Lisa

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:41:29 PM

Hi Ron,

I don't know a thing about the pictbridge. My Dell photo printer does say
pictbridge on the front of it but I don't know how to use it. The Dell
printer also has a card reader in it but the software that runs it is a
little flaky. I currently have it disabled.

I disable everything possible from running on startup. I did leave the
Kodak software running in the background for the first week or two. I don't
like how long it takes for everything to load when I login or reboot (I'm
not talking about the original reboot after installing), so I disabled it
from running at startup. I also don't need those extra features that Easy
Share has.

I did end up with a problem. I went to use the usb cable to connect the
camera directly to the computer and the cable didn't fit. I sent an e-mail
to Kodak and they apologized and said I could send a fax with the required
information to get the proper usb cable so I can hook it up to the computer,
luckily the camera wasn't purchased that long ago so it will be free.

Anyway, if you could explain pictbridge a little for me, I'd appreciate it.
Lisa

"Ronald Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
news:D cok4v$av8$1@news.kodak.com...
> Hi Lisa,
>
> Since you moved the Printer Dock away from the computer, you should still
> be
> able to use it via a card reader or by plugging the Z740 directly into the
> Printer Dock as it is pictbridge compatible.
>
> Also, EasyShare Software should not take up much of your system memory.
> On
> my system a 1.8 ghz machine running Win XP2 the resource indicator shows
> that it takes up about 24k while at rest in the systray, and about 35k
> while
> on my desktop. Possibly your concern is with it taking a long time to boot
> up the first time after installing the EasyShare program. It does take
> some
> time initially as it is associating itself with your images and storing
> this
> data. After the initial install, however, it should not take up much in
> the
> way of your resources. In the scheme of things for many computers, that
> amount of memory use it is not much.
>
> You can check your system them by reviewing the options in your Windows OS
> features.
>
> Anyway, if you had a choice of EasyShare or MS Picture It, I would say
> that
> Picture It would win. It costs more than EasyShare and should win. But,
> EasyShare is still a good program and it does offer some pretty cool
> features you might be missing, i.e. the address book, favorites, and more.
>
> If you think I might be able to help you with it, let me know, I am glad
> help.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:46:58 PM

Hi Lisa,

Glad to help.

First, if you have a Kodak camera that you want to connect to your system,
you should at least run the Kodak Camera Connection Software. You can
install it and not the full EasyShare program if you like. Also, the card
reader that is mentioned may allow you to use it as a transfer feature, i.e.
if the printer talks to your computer you could transfer images to the
computer via the card reader? Not sure about your model, but with some it
is a possibility. Of course a card reader is always a good tool to have
especially if you want to bring images with you or transfer images just
exposed to a different system.

As to Pictbridge, since there may be others reading this review, let me go
over things and provide a QandA session as well. PictBridge is a relatively
recent standard for connecting digital cameras to printers. It allows easy,
direct printing, regardless of the brands of the camera and the printer.
Check the Web site below for a review of the PictBridge Compatible KODAK
Printer Docks.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=13...

Because of its universal appeal, there is a lot of information on the Web
about this technology and we encourage you to review some of it as it should
answer most of your questions:

- Main PictBridge info -
http://www.cipa.jp/pictbridge/index_e.html

For a review of which KODAK Digital Cameras are PictBridge enabled, try the
following URL which can also be found by review of the previous CIPA Web
site.

http://www.cipa.jp/pictbridge/CertifiedModels/PictBridg...

Some of the frequently asked questions about it follow. We have found that
sharing them will answer particular questions as well as those not asked
just yet. Let us know if you have others.

Q - What are the benefits of PictBridge?

A - PictBridge enables compatibility across digital products ensuring users
an easy access to printing functions, regardless of manufacturer or computer
accessibility. PictBridge gives consumers flexibility in outputting their
digital images.

Q - Are there plans to add PictBridge functionality to existing digital
cameras or printers?

A - No. As of this note, there are no plans to upgrade existing Kodak
cameras' or printers' firmware to allow access to this feature. It is a
possibility for the future, however.

Q - Has PictBridge used any new technology in creating this standard?

A - New technology was used to enable printing by sending a command from a
digital still camera, without a personal computer. Provided both the
digital still camera and the printer are PictBridge-enabled, direct printing
is easily possible - regardless of the brands of the camera and the printer.

Best Regards, Lisa, let me know if I can help further.

> [...]
> > this
> > data. After the initial install, however, it should not take up much in
> > the
> > way of your resources. In the scheme of things for many computers, that
> > amount of memory use it is not much.
> >
> > You can check your system them by reviewing the options in your Windows
OS
> > features.
> >
> > Anyway, if you had a choice of EasyShare or MS Picture It, I would say
> > that
> > Picture It would win. It costs more than EasyShare and should win. But,
> > EasyShare is still a good program and it does offer some pretty cool
> > features you might be missing, i.e. the address book, favorites, and
more.

> > If you think I might be able to help you with it, let me know, I am glad

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:27:03 PM

Hi Ron,

When we first purchased this camera & printer dock bundle we following all
instructions for hooking it up to the computer and installed all software.
If I remember correctly it didn't give me a choice as to what to install it
just installed everything. The only thing that is showing in my add/remove
programs is the Kodak Easy Share software. If I uninstall this, how would I
go about installing just the connection software?

Yes the card reader will transfer pictures to my computer IF i enable the
Memory card manager that came with it (I have tried doing it, and it does
work, but I don't like the way you have to pull out the card, there's no
button to pop it out) BUT I don't want to have that running all the time
because it is buggy and causes a few strange issues with USB drives. I had
planned on purchasing a stand alone card reader that didn't require any
drivers to be installed BUT when I found out that I could direct connect my
camera to my computer with a USB cable, I canceled the order. Then I found
out I had the wrong cable.

Thanks for the websites. Pictbridge isn't something that I would be looking
for at this time. We don't take many pictures and we don't print many
picutres. Whatever we do print we will use the printer dock & print
directly from the camera. I need to store pictures on my computer (& backup
to CDR). My husband will be taking more pictures in the future as he's now
taking care of our local American Legion website, he wants to be able to put
them on the site. Hopefully Kodak received my fax yesterday requesting the
correct USB cable.

news:D cqvhh$o1$1@news.kodak.com...
> Hi Lisa,
>
> Glad to help.
>
> First, if you have a Kodak camera that you want to connect to your system,
> you should at least run the Kodak Camera Connection Software. You can
> install it and not the full EasyShare program if you like. Also, the card
> reader that is mentioned may allow you to use it as a transfer feature,
> i.e.
> if the printer talks to your computer you could transfer images to the
> computer via the card reader? Not sure about your model, but with some it
> is a possibility. Of course a card reader is always a good tool to have
> especially if you want to bring images with you or transfer images just
> exposed to a different system.

SNIPPED

> Q - Has PictBridge used any new technology in creating this standard?
>
> A - New technology was used to enable printing by sending a command from a
> digital still camera, without a personal computer. Provided both the
> digital still camera and the printer are PictBridge-enabled, direct
> printing
> is easily possible - regardless of the brands of the camera and the
> printer.
>
> Best Regards, Lisa, let me know if I can help further.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:38:22 PM

Greetings Lisa,

Glad I can help.

If you completely uninstall the Kodak EasyShare Software then run the clear
utility, you will have essentially removed all from the system. You can then
install just the CCS or Camera Connection Software. The clear utility can be
found at the following location.

http;//www.kodak.com/go/clear

Once all is removed, return to the Kodak website and start the download of
the latest version. Go slowly, and when you get to the screen that allows
for a custom install, choose it. On that screen you can then select only the
Camera Connection Software. Make the settings and download only the CCS.
Your camera can then connect successfully and you can choose to use whatever
program you like for your pictures.

Let me know if you need more, Lisa, glad to help.

> Hi Ron,
>
> When we first purchased this camera & printer dock bundle we following all
> instructions for hooking it up to the computer and installed all software.
> If I remember correctly it didn't give me a choice as to what to install
it
> just installed everything. The only thing that is showing in my
add/remove
> programs is the Kodak Easy Share software. If I uninstall this, how would
> go about installing just the connection software?

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:58:58 PM

"Ronald Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
news:D d0b9o$5vc$1@news.kodak.com...
> Greetings Lisa,
>
> Glad I can help.
>
> If you completely uninstall the Kodak EasyShare Software then run the
> clear
> utility, you will have essentially removed all from the system. You can
> then
> install just the CCS or Camera Connection Software. The clear utility can
> be
> found at the following location.
>
> http;//www.kodak.com/go/clear
>
> Once all is removed, return to the Kodak website and start the download of
> the latest version. Go slowly, and when you get to the screen that allows
> for a custom install, choose it. On that screen you can then select only
> the
> Camera Connection Software. Make the settings and download only the CCS.
> Your camera can then connect successfully and you can choose to use
> whatever
> program you like for your pictures.
>
> Let me know if you need more, Lisa, glad to help.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the information. Right now I'm not uninstalling anything. Kodak
had sent me an e-mail telling me what information to fax to them to request
the correct USB cable. I sent them all information and a copy of the
receipt and asked them to please contact me via e-mail to let me know that
my request had been received etc. I haven't heard a thing and it's been
almost a week now. I'm hoping to hear something back soon or get the proper
cable soon. Either way I'm not doing anything until I get that cable and
can actually hook the camera up to the computer. Thanks.
Lisa
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:41:24 PM

Lisa,

I will be glad to look for your fax and information to see where things
stand. You can write to me directly at Kodak if you like ronbaird@kodak.com
This way you can provide details and specifics without posting publicly.

Gald to follow through for you, Lisa,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> > Greetings Lisa,
> >
> > Glad I can help.
> >
> > If you completely uninstall the Kodak EasyShare Software then run the
> > clear
> > utility, you will have essentially removed all from the system. You can
> > then
> > install just the CCS or Camera Connection Software. The clear utility
can
> > be
> > found at the following location.
> >
> > http;//www.kodak.com/go/clear
> >
> > Once all is removed, return to the Kodak website and start the download
of
> > the latest version.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:05:15 PM

"Ronald Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
news:D dasva$2r2$1@news.kodak.com...
> Lisa,
>
> I will be glad to look for your fax and information to see where things
> stand. You can write to me directly at Kodak if you like
> ronbaird@kodak.com
> This way you can provide details and specifics without posting publicly.
>
> Gald to follow through for you, Lisa,
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

Hi Ron, Thanks for the offer but it's not needed. Although no one did ever
respond to me, I received the proper cable yesterday. I haven't tried it
yet though. I've been busy working on my computer since Saturday when I
decided to format and start everything all over. I'll let you know if I
have any trouble. Thanks.
Lisa
!