I could access linksy internet without a router but now it wont work

SCORPIOUS

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hello,

For some time I have been able to access free internet by switching to wireless mode on my laptop. Several providers are listed but none of them I could use because you need a security key. However, there's one called Linksy that comes and goes. When it is available, and depending where you are in my house, you can click on it and will connect to give you free access. I don't know where this is coming from but now it says it's connected but when you hover the internet connection icon on the bottom right of the screen, it contradicts itself and says no access. Any idea why this has suddenly changed and where this signal is coming from? I know it says it's not secure and I usually use a pay as you go internet provider. But when Linksy has worked before (and depending on the signal)it is possible to download as well. I have tried googling this but can't find anything on the internet about accessing Linksy without a router, which I could, until today. Any info would be appreciated. PS I am not some computer geek so please keep it simple! lol. Thanks:)

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You do know that you are stealing internet service from somebody by connecting to their wireless router, right? I can't help you with this because this is unethical.

To answer you question on why the access point "Linksys" is no longer providing you internet access could be many reasons: he cancelled his internet, he blocked your MAC address, he assigned static IPs to his computers only, etc.

You should pay for your own internet service and stop leeching off people.

SCORPIOUS

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011

Hi,

Many thanks for reading my message and getting back to me. Sorry, I didn't realise I was leeching off someone else's internet connection. As I said I'm not an expert on things like this. At least it explains where the signal could be coming from. Or was coming from as it's no longer available. I'll just stick with my own provider from now.

Thanks again for your help :)