Sign in with
Your question

Live Kernel Event crash ONLY when computer is idle - Radeon 7850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2012 5:15:29 PM

Hello,

I built a new computer recently, and everything works fine, except when I'm idle. Then I get repeated Live Kernel Event errors (checking the reliability log it happens 10+ times a night in rapid succession every few minutes). Does anybody know what might be causing this? I already replaced my GPU but the problem persists.

My computer:
i5-2500k (OC'd to 4.4 - very stable no problems here)
Sapphire Radeon 7850 normal edition (running at stock)
Aurum Gold 650W PSU
ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 Motherboard
Win 7 Pro 64

I have tried installing Lucid VIRTU and also uninstalling it. Does not make a difference.

All drivers are up to date.

CPU temps low 30s idle, 61 max under load in Prime95
GPU temps low 30s idle, ~64 max under load in benchmark testing

Here's a sample of one of the multiple errors I get:

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
4/27/2012 3:08 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: FFFFFA800AE5F120
BCP2: FFFFF88003264E90
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

April 27, 2012 5:39:46 PM

Are you with the latest drivers? Is the GPU OCed?
April 27, 2012 5:45:34 PM

Yes, latest drivers installed for all hardware. GPU is not OC.
Related resources
April 27, 2012 5:51:43 PM

Since you said you already changed out a GPU with the same result I would look at drivers and CPU overclock.

To start I would run checkdesk to verify your not getting any disk corruption. Then update the graphics card drivers(If running the latest you should update asap when the Catalyst 12.4 drivers come out in the next few days). If neither do the trick I would reset the CPU OC back to stock(need to at least verify that is not the issue).
April 27, 2012 5:59:04 PM

Happens only when you Idle? How often? And when did this start to happen?

EDIT" Did you mean by replaced that you "reseated" the GPU or totally replaced it with another one?
April 27, 2012 6:03:37 PM

Checkdisk came up all clear so did SFC and I'm having my error on both 12.3 and 12.4 drivers.

Happens ONLY when I idle and it's been happening since the beginning. I got a new replacement GPU, problem did not go away...
April 27, 2012 6:05:13 PM

Darn was hoping the new 12.4 drivers would do it since they mentioned a similar bug fix. -The Catalyst Control Center may experience random crashes in specific configurations.
April 27, 2012 6:12:47 PM

Yeah I was hoping it would fix it too, but nothing.. It's disappointing that the error is happening when IDLE and not under load at all. Does the drop in clock or voltage when idle make the card unable to recover when going active again? FWIW, I turned off the PCIE idle management setting in the windows power settings as well, but that didn't do anything.
April 27, 2012 6:36:31 PM

My gut feeling is the Motherboard has a defect(The ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 has a lot of complaints about graphics card compatibility.) . As a long shot you may try moving the GPU to the other PCIE slot.

Maybe someone will see this that has had this exact issue.
April 27, 2012 6:37:30 PM

OK, revert everything back to stock speeds and voltages and see what will be going on.
April 27, 2012 7:13:54 PM

Yeah I was hoping it's not a mobo problem. I actually did in fact move it to the other PCIE slot this morning before I left for work, so we'll see what happens when I get back.

I'm a bit disappointed if it's an OC issue, since a small OC to a 2500K should not be a problem..
April 27, 2012 8:34:14 PM

It's most likely an OC issue but one that can be fixed without sacrificing speed. I had the same thing happen with my Extreme3 Gen3/2500k: would Prime for hours stable at 4.8/5.0 with reasonable temps and then crash at idle. My BSOD codes were different, however. I had to tweak the CPU PLL and PCH voltages to get mine stable at idle, and of course turn off all my C-states and dynamic clocking features in the BIOS.

EDIT: Never had it happen as low as 4.4 at idle, but each board is different.

EDIT 2: And what BIOS version are you running?
April 27, 2012 8:39:13 PM

sy702 said:
Yeah I was hoping it's not a mobo problem. I actually did in fact move it to the other PCIE slot this morning before I left for work, so we'll see what happens when I get back.

I'm a bit disappointed if it's an OC issue, since a small OC to a 2500K should not be a problem..

Yes your OC should be reachable but weird crap can and does happen when you OC which is why I recommended you revert the OC in my first response. Maybe you need a hair more voltage to prevent this but any time you have an issue on a PC you have overclocked you should revert it back to stock to rule out the OC as the issue.
April 28, 2012 6:27:27 AM

What has worked so far is switching to the other PCIE slot. No errors so far after 12 hours of idle time. Very strange, does this mean I have a defective motherboard? I was also able to achieve a stable overclock at 1100/5800 1150v on my 7850 in the 2nd PCIE slot, which I wasnt able to do before using the primary slot.
April 28, 2012 3:35:34 PM

Have you taken the advice of updating to the latest BIOS? as mentioned above the Extreme 3 had some known issues.
April 28, 2012 4:28:59 PM

sorry didn't read everything, but did you try reinstalling the OS?

i know it bugs you that this problem exists, but maybe you just need to not let your computer idle. well, when you say idle i assume you mean hard drive spinning down, monitor shutting off (i.e. power options in windows). if that is the case, just turn your system to an always-on profile and just shut your monitor off when/if you walk away.

FWIW, i have a weird problem with my 7850 where after it idles i get huge drops in framerates until i restart the machine. i still haven't figured out what the problem is.
April 28, 2012 8:05:45 PM

sy702 said:
What has worked so far is switching to the other PCIE slot. No errors so far after 12 hours of idle time. Very strange, does this mean I have a defective motherboard? I was also able to achieve a stable overclock at 1100/5800 1150v on my 7850 in the 2nd PCIE slot, which I wasnt able to do before using the primary slot.

If you Google for this issue with your motherboard you will find this is somewhat common(newegg even has a few folks complaining of this issue). Since swapping to the other PCIE slot worked you should try a BIOS update, as they may have resolved some low level issues. If you don't plan to CrossFire cards at a later date this is a perfectly workable solution. If you do plan to CrossFire then I would think about an RMA if you can.
May 4, 2012 9:03:03 PM

I believe I have found the source of my problem, which is apparently quite common in Radeons going back to 5xxx series cards.

When idle the GPU lowers the clock speeds for the core and the memory quite drastically (300mhz core, 150mhz memory) compared to the default clock speeds of 800 and 1200 in order to save power. Apparently this causes problems specifically with windows 7 for some reason, where idle states will cause driver errors because of super low clocks. The fix is to set the idle clocks higher, in my case 400/900 by editing an .xml containing your gpu profile options, which will prevent this problem from occurring.
May 4, 2012 9:22:37 PM

But this problem were already solved during the CCC 10.8 release!!
May 4, 2012 9:34:43 PM

apparently not! I had this problem with both my original and RMA'd sapphire radeon 7850s, and an ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 and Gigabyte Z77 UD3H. Nothing worked until I edited the idle clock speeds.
May 4, 2012 9:50:16 PM

Glad that you figured it out.
!