Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Anyone care to help me find a graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2012 5:55:05 PM

Hello everyone.

Earlier this year I had a video card fail on me, and as I mentioned in that thread XFX gave me the warranty runaround.

It's been a couple months since then and the problem has gotten only worse, so now I'm trying to find a new video card for gaming! I'm fine with NVidia or AMD cards, and would prefer to be able to play current games on high settings with good FPS, as well as potentially stream or record my video gameplay!

Here's my PC specs as of now:

Intel i7 950 @3.1GHz
1050W PSU
6GB DDR3 CORSAIR RAM (had 8gb but a stick went bad)
My motherboard is the ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58

I would prefer to go with a single card rather than SLI/crossfire at the moment.

My previous card (the one that has failed) was an XFX Radeon 5970 Black Edition.

My maximum budget is $200, though if you guys know any sweet deals on a good card for cheaper I'd certainly like that too :) 

Looking forward to hearing your guys' suggestions!
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 6:03:21 PM

It's a shame that card failed on you as I have exactly the same card and it's been and still is absolutely fantastic. However there is no single GPU at the moment that outperforms it, including a GTX680. If you go for anything less than a 680 it will be a down grade.
Score
April 27, 2012 6:07:14 PM

Yeah, I loved the card...really disappointed it failed on me, especially cuz it was $600. Even more so disappointed XFX is giving me the runaround with the warranty. FML.

EDIT: Also guess it's important to note that if I have to downgrade, I guess I have to. Unfortunately, having spent $600+ on that card, I'm not exactly interested in spending a whole lot of money on a video card, especially when this may just happen again.

That being said, as long as the card will allow me to play games on max with good FPS, and potentially record, I'm fine with that!
Score
Related resources
April 27, 2012 6:29:38 PM

I still think the best card for ~200 is the gtx480. I know that there are heat and noise problems, besides the fact that it is 2gens old, but it is still an amazing single card solution, especially if you want really good performance.

it is 210 from newegg

and 220 from amazon

good luck

-SP
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 6:57:09 PM

GameGuideWorld said:
Yeah, I loved the card...really disappointed it failed on me, especially cuz it was $600. Even more so disappointed XFX is giving me the runaround with the warranty. FML.

EDIT: Also guess it's important to note that if I have to downgrade, I guess I have to. Unfortunately, having spent $600+ on that card, I'm not exactly interested in spending a whole lot of money on a video card, especially when this may just happen again.

That being said, as long as the card will allow me to play games on max with good FPS, and potentially record, I'm fine with that!

How long have you had the card? If i'm not mistaken XFX has a lifetime warranty on their cards. If you overclocked you may be out of luck though as that's not covered even on a black edition. Tell us about the history with this card? I assume you bought your card from a 3rd party supplier such as dabs.com or similar. If that's the case your argument is with them. You reclaim your compensation or from them, it's up to your 3rd party supplier to then approach XFX for their compensation!

(I had a problem with a Gainward card that I bought from Overclockers UK. That got nasty until I sought legal advise, all of a sudden we eventually came to an agreement.) Unless you've damaged the card or overclocked it and it's within it's warranty period they HAVE to give you another card or an equivalent. Good luck!
Score
April 27, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Kkkk1 said:
How long have you had the card? If i'm not mistaken XFX has a lifetime warranty on their cards. If you overclocked you may be out of luck though as that's not covered even on a black edition. Tell us about the history with this card? I assume you bought your card from a 3rd party supplier such as dabs.com or similar. If that's the case your argument is with them. You reclaim your compensation or from them, it's up to your 3rd party supplier to then approach XFX for their compensation!

(I had a problem with a Gainward card that I bought from Overclockers UK. That got nasty until I sought legal advise, all of a sudden we eventually came to an agreement.) Unless you've damaged the card or overclocked it and it's within it's warranty period they HAVE to give you another card or an equivalent. Good luck!

I purchased the card in September 2010 from one of their resellers on eBay (It was new, mind you). They told me since it wasn't for them, the card would have had to be registered by me within 90 days of purchasing it form the reseller; even though I did this, they told me I didn't, and even though I provided proof have not responded to numerous support tickets from me over the past couple of months.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 8:07:05 PM

You need to speak firstly to your reseller or whoever it was on e-bay. They then need to inspect the card for damage etc so you'll have to send it back to them. Make sure you take photos of the condition of the card, in particular the back where the PCB board might be exposed. After this if it's within it's warranty period and no damage or over clocking is detected they need to either reimburse or send you and equivalent card! The Bastar*s are giving you the run around. Don't let them!
Keep the pressure up buddy!!!!!!
April 27, 2012 8:27:36 PM

Its a $600 card, unfornately you are going to have to make it cost them more the $600 in time and labor in dealing with you before u get remedy for this situation

i would suggest you write letters directly to the CEO and presidents of the said company, along with BBB and any other agencies you can find.

the sqeaky wheel get the greese threoy holds true even today
Score
April 27, 2012 8:32:12 PM

Any chance you guys would like to assist me with finding contact information / avenues of further pushing my issue?

The issue with the reseller I bought it off eBay is, they no longer have an active account there.
Score
April 27, 2012 8:57:29 PM

Sorry for the double post but it told me I couldn't edit my last message? The latest is I called XFX and they are telling me the card was not registered by me when I bought it off eBay in 2010 (though it was) and that it was not registered until 2012 and falls out of their 90 day warranty transfer. The support guy was a prick and despite any proof etc. I gave continued to tell me that the warranty was not registered by me until February 2012, despite me telling him that when I opened the ticket there was a technical issue with the site and I went through phone support to get my account to allow me to even open a ticket. He was very rude. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Score
April 28, 2012 5:47:59 PM

Got an RMA. Thanks for the advice guys.
Score
April 28, 2012 5:49:02 PM

Best answer selected by GameGuideWorld.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 6:14:57 PM

Kkkk1 said:
It's a shame that card failed on you as I have exactly the same card and it's been and still is absolutely fantastic. However there is no single GPU at the moment that outperforms it, including a GTX680. If you go for anything less than a 680 it will be a down grade.

7970 is faster then a 5970 also,7970 is as fast as a 6990 in many games
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 9:22:42 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!