Sign in with
Your question

Why doesnt windows7 upgrade to windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 25, 2013 3:01:01 PM

Hello,
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I have purchased Windows8 Pro Upgrade. The blogs said that Windows 7 WILL upgrade to Win8 and KEEP all programs, settings and data. Very good.The first time I started the upgrade I was given the option to keep all software, settings and data. However I was asked to uninstall several programs. This I did. I then started the upgrade again. THIS time the upgrade made NO offer to keep old programs and files. Yhe ONLY option offered to me was to keep NOTHING. No explanation nothing. What happened? The upgrade was supposed to keep all programs and settings. But it is not giving the option to me, although it did the first time.
Any Help?
Hasanat
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 6:21:33 PM

yep. I bet he's got a 32/64 bit mismatch going on.
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:23:15 PM

The-F-Word is correct – in order for an upgrade to successfully move your system from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Professional you would have to ensure the architecture for each version of Windows is identical. Example, you can only upgrade a 32-bit operating system to a 32-bit operating system; likewise, you can only upgrade a 64-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system. As you can see in the Windows 8 Upgrade Paths library article from the Springboard Series for Windows 8 page on TechNet, cross-architecture installations are not supported.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 6:40:53 PM

That moment when your world goes Bump, and you say Oh bloody hell Man!
They could of told me that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 6:47:01 PM

weaselman said:
That moment when your world goes Bump, and you say Oh bloody hell Man!
They could of told me that.

Im sure the official "upgrade advisor" would... or more accuratley....it would have directed him to the 32 bit upgrade.. and when he said he wanted 64 bit.. explained then.

Cheers
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:08:43 AM

Sorry. Cannot accept any solution as best. I have 64 bit always. In Win7 and Win8. As regards upgrading from Win7Pro, NO, Windows 8 will upgrade from any version of Win 7. Please try again
Hasanat
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 3:08:40 PM

Hasanat said:
Please try again
Hasanat

No... you didnt ask a full question...missing key info... we tried to help with the limited info you provided.
From my perspective - your reply is disrespectful of the help given
So you can F*@k off (IMHO)
Cheers
m
l
!