decent 6 mp camera with pc connection

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 31, 2005 12:06:24 PM

hi,

i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read: manual) 6mp
camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls available. i'm sure
every digicamera has more bells and whistles--auto-wise--that i'l ever need.
i know the nikons have good macro functions as well, and that's a plus.

also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it doesn't
have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always been paramount
when picking photo gear.

tia...
July 31, 2005 1:13:23 PM

joe mama wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read: manual) 6mp
> camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls available. i'm sure
> every digicamera has more bells and whistles--auto-wise--that i'l ever need.
> i know the nikons have good macro functions as well, and that's a plus.
>
> also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it doesn't
> have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always been paramount
> when picking photo gear.
>
> tia...

If you mean a sync terminal for an external flash, you shouldn't limit
your camera search to this criteria - it's going to limit you to very
few cameras. I don't know about digital SLR's - you could read through
the specs of the current ones at DP Review. The only current digicams
I'm aware of that have sync terminals are the Casio Exilim EX-600 and
EX-700. Some of the older Olys (the C-750 and older) have them too. The
Sony DSC-V3 has an "external accessory terminal", whatever that is;
since it's Sony, I'd assume it's something proprietary.

Barring these cameras, you can get a camera with a hotshoe, and use a
hotshoe adapter to attach a PC sync cable:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=bread...

You can also get sync terminal slave adapters - eg:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
With one of these, you'd be able to use any camera with a built-in
flash.

If you're trying to get a camera to fit currently owned gear, at least
consider a quick sale on ebay followed by the purchase of a decent
proprietary TTL-metered flash - it's well worth it.

Good Luck!
ECM
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:06:05 PM

Are you asking about a pc socket (for external flash use) or a PC socket as
in a connection to a PC (Personal Computer)??

Guy

joe mama wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read:
> manual) 6mp camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls
> available. i'm sure every digicamera has more bells and
> whistles--auto-wise--that i'l ever need. i know the nikons have good
> macro functions as well, and that's a plus.
> also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it
> doesn't have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always
> been paramount when picking photo gear.
>
> tia...
July 31, 2005 10:18:03 PM

"joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read: manual)
> 6mp camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls available. i'm
> sure every digicamera has more bells and whistles--auto-wise--that i'l
> ever need. i know the nikons have good macro functions as well, and that's
> a plus.
>
> also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it doesn't
> have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always been paramount
> when picking photo gear.
I'm not aware of any compacts that have PC sockets, but Pentax *istD (not
the DS), Canon 20D are a couple of DSLR's with them.
Alternatively, quite a lot of cameras have hotshoe mounts, and you can use a
hotshoe->PC adapter.
DSLR's are about the only option for decent and easy to use manual controls.
Many non-SLR's have manual controls but the choice of apertures is normally
very limited, which is especially important when you want to use a flash in
manual mode. Usually on non-SLR cameras, accessing the manual functions is
pretty clumsy too.

> tia...

July 31, 2005 10:18:04 PM

"Justin Thyme" <pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read: manual)
>> 6mp camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls available. i'm
>> sure every digicamera has more bells and whistles--auto-wise--that i'l
>> ever need. i know the nikons have good macro functions as well, and
>> that's a plus.
>>
>> also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it doesn't
>> have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always been
>> paramount when picking photo gear.
> I'm not aware of any compacts that have PC sockets, but Pentax *istD (not
> the DS),

Actually the Ds works with the same software. :-) w00t

Canon 20D are a couple of DSLR's with them.
> Alternatively, quite a lot of cameras have hotshoe mounts, and you can use
> a hotshoe->PC adapter.
> DSLR's are about the only option for decent and easy to use manual
> controls. Many non-SLR's have manual controls but the choice of apertures
> is normally very limited, which is especially important when you want to
> use a flash in manual mode. Usually on non-SLR cameras, accessing the
> manual functions is pretty clumsy too.
>>
>> tia...

August 1, 2005 1:28:09 AM

>> I'm not aware of any compacts that have PC sockets, but Pentax *istD (not
>> the DS),
>
> Actually the Ds works with the same software. :-) w00t
eh? what's the software got to do with it? You do know what a PC socket is
don't you?
The D has one, the DS doesn't.

> Canon 20D are a couple of DSLR's with them.
>> Alternatively, quite a lot of cameras have hotshoe mounts, and you can
>> use a hotshoe->PC adapter.
>> DSLR's are about the only option for decent and easy to use manual
>> controls. Many non-SLR's have manual controls but the choice of apertures
>> is normally very limited, which is especially important when you want to
>> use a flash in manual mode. Usually on non-SLR cameras, accessing the
>> manual functions is pretty clumsy too.
>>>
>>> tia...

August 1, 2005 1:28:10 AM

"Justin Thyme" <pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:D B2He.853$lj1.17925@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm not aware of any compacts that have PC sockets, but Pentax *istD
>>> (not the DS),
>>
>> Actually the Ds works with the same software. :-) w00t
> eh? what's the software got to do with it? You do know what a PC socket is
> don't you?
> The D has one, the DS doesn't.

Of course it has one. Works great, cable comes with the kit, download the D
software from the Pentax site and it works, a couple of features that the D
has are not supported on the Ds, forget what they are off the top of my
head.

>> Canon 20D are a couple of DSLR's with them.
>>> Alternatively, quite a lot of cameras have hotshoe mounts, and you can
>>> use a hotshoe->PC adapter.
>>> DSLR's are about the only option for decent and easy to use manual
>>> controls. Many non-SLR's have manual controls but the choice of
>>> apertures is normally very limited, which is especially important when
>>> you want to use a flash in manual mode. Usually on non-SLR cameras,
>>> accessing the manual functions is pretty clumsy too.

August 2, 2005 12:20:21 PM

"joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com> writes:

> hi,
>
> i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read: manual) 6mp
> camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls available. i'm sure
> every digicamera has more bells and whistles--auto-wise--that i'l ever need.
> i know the nikons have good macro functions as well, and that's a plus.
>
> also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it doesn't
> have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always been paramount
> when picking photo gear.

Is 6MP a hard and fast requirement? I have an E-1 with 5 mega-pixels that I've
been real happy with (note, if you crop for 8x10 or 5x7 pictures, most 6MP
cameras have to crop down close to 5MP while the E-1 doesn't have to crop as
much since the E-1 has a 4:3 aspect ration compared to the 3:2 ratio that
Canon/Nikon/etc. uses). It has a pc-sync connection as well as a hot-shoe.
Coupled with the 14-54mm lens, it is weather resistant (I've shot from the boat
at Niagara Falls in the middle of the spray, and I've seen other reports of
people who have had to clean their cameras after its been in the mud by rinsing
it under a faucet).

Note, the cheaper 14-45mm and 40-150mm lenses are not weather resistant, but I
believe all of the other Olympus lenses are (Sigma lenses are not weather
resistant).

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

"joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i'm old world, and old school. i want the most versatile (read: manual)
6mp
> camera with a pc connection, and mucho manual controls available. i'm sure
> every digicamera has more bells and whistles--auto-wise--that i'l ever
need.
> i know the nikons have good macro functions as well, and that's a plus.
>
> also, the smaller, the better. this will mainly be a snapper. it doesn't
> have to be a Leica or otherwise, but duarability has always been paramount
> when picking photo gear.
>
> tia...

Look at the Fuji E550. In the $300 range, logical menu, AA batteries,
overall, a good point-and-shoot camera.

John
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:11:36 AM

> Is 6MP a hard and fast requirement? I have an E-1 with 5 mega-pixels that
> I've
> been real happy with (note, if you crop for 8x10 or 5x7 pictures, most 6MP
> cameras have to crop down close to 5MP while the E-1 doesn't have to crop
> as
> much since the E-1 has a 4:3 aspect ration compared to the 3:2 ratio that
> Canon/Nikon/etc. uses). It has a pc-sync connection as well as a
> hot-shoe.
> Coupled with the 14-54mm lens, it is weather resistant (I've shot from the
> boat
> at Niagara Falls in the middle of the spray, and I've seen other reports
> of
> people who have had to clean their cameras after its been in the mud by
> rinsing
> it under a faucet).
>
> Note, the cheaper 14-45mm and 40-150mm lenses are not weather resistant,
> but I
> believe all of the other Olympus lenses are (Sigma lenses are not weather
> resistant).
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Plastic bags are cheap and they work.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:45:57 AM

"Pete D" <no@email.com> writes:

> Plastic bags are cheap and they work.

Yes and no. They work to keep the camera dry if you aren't shooting (or you
are content to shoot through plastic). In my experience, they don't work as
well if you are trying to shoot and keep the camera dry. Something like the
EWA Marine products (either the dive bags or the rain capes) presumably work
better, but obviously are more expensive.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:40:48 AM

I had the same problem. I've got a full Norman studio strob set that I
had no intention of loosing. The best non-DSLR I found that would
allow PC sync was the Minolta A-2.

I bought one about 6 months ago and I'm thrilled. It took a bit of
getting used to all the available automation in the studio (My old cam
is an ancient Hasselblad 500) but once I started using the review
button, I was sold.

The Minolta can do complex syncs with ease.

Note: Unfortunately, KM chose to eliminate the PC socket on the newer
A200. So hurry and get the A-2 while you can!

Philip