Sign in with
Your question

Need a new on off switch help please

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2012 10:12:10 PM

Hi, i'm building a new machine, modding it on the way, i need a new switch for on and off etc, Looking for a anti vandal type/style, from what i have gathered so far i need a momentary switch, For the connections at the back if it has a led on then it may have 5 or 6 connections, and if it doesnt then two connections ie a normal switch.

This will be going to a p8z77 m-pro mobo, i cant find any information about what i may need. How to hook it up to the mobo, will one switch also count as like a turn on of off sleep mode, hold in for 10 secs to clear stuff kind off thing. Will i need a separate restart switch i'm really stuck,

I'm half way through the case mod, haven't got the mobo, and asus wants a serial number and crap for me to ask them anything slightly technical.

Does any one have any links to a switch guide, every time i google it i get some stuff with peoples problems on start up.

Fire away guys, jon

More about : switch

June 21, 2012 10:19:50 PM

you can buy them pre-tailed from www.frozencpu.com and several other modding sites
June 21, 2012 10:25:37 PM

slhpss said:
you can buy them pre-tailed from www.frozencpu.com and several other modding sites

Thanks for the quick reply, is it best to get as many connections on the end as possible? I've seen on a few modding sites, thou at maplins i can save half of what they are charging, my real question is do i need a switch that is off then pushed turns on or the other way around, it's all to do with how they break the circuit etc?

Thank you
Related resources
June 21, 2012 10:28:57 PM

you need a Momentary Normally Off Switch... I believe that is the correct terminology... two connections is fine unless you want LEDs and such

(ON) - Off SPST Momentary
June 21, 2012 10:31:10 PM

Star +rep
June 21, 2012 10:33:55 PM

http://www.maplin.co.uk/large-anti-vandal-push-switch-5...

This one is labeled as "push to make" which is another way of saying SPST momentary

btw how do you find anything on that site... it has tons of stuff but seems to be a nightmare to navigate (at least their search function sucks)
June 21, 2012 10:54:31 PM

slhpss said:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/large-anti-vandal-push-switch-5...

This one is labeled as "push to make" which is another way of saying SPST momentary

btw how do you find anything on that site... it has tons of stuff but seems to be a nightmare to navigate (at least their search function sucks)

Totaly know what you mean, best to have a rough idea of what you want then google it with maplin next to it, i think then i use the sub catagries of what i wanted ie electrical>switches> 12v>momentum etc, i would then go to 12v or switches. sorry on phone now and i have a little problem with smartphone and this site.
!